Picky Greeens and Veggie Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Figment's always eaten a bit of his greens... not much some days, up to 1/4 of a cup on rare occasions. He's now approximately 7 months old and getting picky. I try to vary his greens - arugula, collards, dandelion - and often add a topping of veggie (bell pepper or carrot, occasional tomato) or fruit (berries, apple, grape) to entice him to eat more. Lately, he's just been picking out what he likes - usually the topping - and leaving the rest. I can get him to eat more of the leafy greens if I handfeed him, usually, but some days he's not having any of it.

Should I cut out the topping and just offer the plain greens?

Should I reduce his bug feeds to encourage salad eating?

Yes, I've tried adding worms to his salads. He picks them out, and the ones that go under the salad he doesn't even try to eat.

Should I be worried? Do they naturally start eating more salad as they get older?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not necessarily w/ the eating of more greens by themselves --- try some turnip greens and mustard greens --- when you feed him the bugs in the salad try taking out some of the greens and leave the worms and staple feeder in the bowl - he will haft to go after the roaches in the greens and there for eat some as hes going for the worms and the roaches -- are you using some BSFL on top of the salads first thing in the morning -- I always put the BSFL on top of the salads along w/ 3 super worms -- Blaze will come to the bowl and watch the movement then go in w 2 feet in the bowl and eat --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cutting out 1 or 2 bug feedings usually gets them to start eating salad. That's how I get all mine to eat salad.

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3oyilsv5 said:
Not necessarily w/ the eating of more greens by themselves --- try some turnip greens and mustard greens ---

We've only two supermarkets in town, and unfortunately neither carry turnip or mustard greens. It's only been recently that I've even found dandelion greens!

when you feed him the bugs in the salad try taking out some of the greens and leave the worms and staple feeder in the bowl - he will haft to go after the roaches in the greens and there for eat some as hes going for the worms and the roaches --

I'll give that a go; he's gotten really good at picking out the worms and BSFL, though. Maybe with roaches it will be different.

are you using some BSFL on top of the salads first thing in the morning -- I always put the BSFL on top of the salads along w/ 3 super worms -- Blaze will come to the bowl and watch the movement then go in w 2 feet in the bowl and eat --
Karrie

Yup, that's how I tended to serve it up - he will pick out the wigglies, eat maybe a mouthful or two of greens, and walk away. Picky! Thanks for the feedback, though. :)

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2rlnhw6t said:
Cutting out 1 or 2 bug feedings usually gets them to start eating salad. That's how I get all mine to eat salad.

Okay, I can try that... I just wasn't sure if I should at his age; I don't want to stunt his growth or adversely affect his health. But if it works for Tombo and crew, it's good enough for me! Just drop one bug feeding a week to start with, then move to two? Consecutively or on non consecutive days?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I do it even as they are hatchlings. Bugs aren't the only thing needed for growth, the micronutrients that salad items provide are very necessary too.
Tombo is the biggest dragon I've ever had and he ate exactly like that :)

I do 1 or 2 days without bugs completely if they won't eat their salad. However, this typically only needs to be done once as usually once they realize they can still get bugs and eat their salad, they do both :)

The thing is, he knows his salad is food, but he knows he can just wait for his bugs instead. Figment won't starve, and he definitely won't have any ill effects from even a few days without bugs. IMO, a few days without bugs for a life full of good salad eating is well worth it. I made a thread on this actually that explains my thoughts on it a bit better:
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=252149
It's a bit drawn out... like I tend to do... lol... but if you are curious, there it is.
Even Kiki is eating her full salads each day, along with her feeders, and she's only 12 weeks old or so now.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And for good measure, here is a picture of Kiki from 5 minutes ago. Not only did she jump at me as a brought her salad to her, she eagerly ate it from my hand :)

31715-1744046305.jpg
31715-1071866723.jpg

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Brandon. I liked your post; it made a lot of sense, and I've always wondered about that 80/20 balance. Figment didn't get his bugs last night, but he also didn't touch his salad. I'll leave more salad with him today in hopes that he eats it. Crossing fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom