Does my bearded dragon look overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please see pictures and tell me if you think Bane is overweight. I noticed she is getting a little belly. Im worried if im overfeeding her because i do not know her age. All i know is i got her end of july and she was 6 and a half inches and she is now 18 inches. I am giving her live feeders twice a day crickets or roaches. I just got BSFL for the first time and have no clue how many i should be giving her. She also eats veggies twice a day.
105924-4633278996.jpg
105924-8085068650.jpg
105924-3296599444.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks a little big but not too bad. If she is eating salads that's good. I would certainly focus on that and offer all she wants. Giving her time to run around and exercise is helpful too. It may be a good idea to reduce the live bug meals to once a day or maybe once every few days if she is eating salads well.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
She does look overweight. Her belly is almost touching the ground while standing. The belly is also looking like it is at the knees or close to going past the knees from a topside view. The fat pads behind her eyes on top of her head are pronounced. How old is she?

She likes like a mature dragon, any guide or source I've read advises reducing bugs starting around age 12 months to prevent obesity. Leafy greens and vegetables and some small amount of fruit are fine to feed every day, they have much fewer calories than bugs. Some dragons are more or less active so that is a factor too.

You could slowly start reducing bugs. Have a day of just vegetables. Then a week later try for 2 days of just vegetables. You can reduce the bugs down to every day or every third day eventually until her form looks lean again then reevaluate. Adults do not need bugs every day. Goodl uck

Prettyboyloafer

Original Poster
DorgEndo":3qn12g10 said:
She does look overweight. Her belly is almost touching the ground while standing. The belly is also looking like it is at the knees or close to going past the knees from a topside view. The fat pads behind her eyes on top of her head are pronounced. How old is she?

She likes like a mature dragon, any guide or source I've read advises reducing bugs starting around age 12 months to prevent obesity. Leafy greens and vegetables and some small amount of fruit are fine to feed every day, they have much fewer calories than bugs. Some dragons are more or less active so that is a factor too.

You could slowly start reducing bugs. Have a day of just vegetables. Then a week later try for 2 days of just vegetables. You can reduce the bugs down to every day or every third day eventually until her form looks lean again then reevaluate. Adults do not need bugs every day. Goodl uck

I’m not sure how old she is because when I bought her at the pet store they did not know her age. I bought her July 24th and she was 6 and a half inches. She is now about 18 inches. Any clue how I can tell her age?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes she is pretty chunky. :) Even though she's young she might be developing eggs. Either way it's best to cut back on the insects now for sure since she's already 18" long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom