Dusting

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we all know as owners that we have to dust our beardies food with calcium and vitamins. But what I want to know is if I'm doing this right. I've had my beardie for 5 weeks now and he's growing and doing well. But what I've never gotten a clear answer on is proper dusting. So this is basically the schedule I have down.
5 days out of the week, I dust insects with Repticalcium with Vitamin D3.
106660-3984241374.jpg
The picture shows how much I use. I place it into a bag and put in 10 dubias. I shake them and their backs are all white. Then i pour them out into his feeding bowl that has mealworms inside already. Now when I do this, there is usually a bit of calcium left over that gets poured into the bowl. When I see he has eaten everything, I simply place more dubias and mealworms and when the insects move, they coat themselves with the remaining calcium in the bowl. After he has eaten most of those, I clean out the bowl and place a fresh batch of new bugs with no calcium.
1 day out of the week, I dust the 10 dubias with Repticalcium and Reptivite Multivitamin Supplement with D3, in order to avoid D3 overdose.
106660-966686784.jpg
That is how much calcium I use.
106660-7963491575.jpg
That is how much vitamins I use.
I do the same process with the 10 dubias, shake them and pour them into the bowl. The same thing goes, the leftover vitamin and calcium dust gets poured into the bowl and I put in more dubias and mealworms that coat themselves with the remaining dust. By the time he finishes those, I clean the bowl out and put new bugs in.
1 day out of the week, I just put in plain bugs with no dusting at all.
This process has been consistent for about 3 weeks and he is doing well on this diet. He also eats a few pieces of kale a day.
I would like to know what anybody else does. Or if there are improvements I could make to these dustings. I hope this helps some people who have gotten confused like I have. Thanks for your input!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to alternate plain calcium and D3 calcium but that depends a bit on lighting and is gray area really. For dusting I like to use a small cup. That way I can shake so the bugs are evenly coated then tip the cup a little and let the bugs come out a few at a time. This way the extra calcium is left at the bottom of the cup. Light even coat on the bugs. I do this for every roach feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom