Feeding 3 times a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Hello so currently I am a full time college student and I work . I feed Yeti before I leave and I pray she eats the salad before it turns hard ( one day I caught her about to eat the hard salad when I was cleaning her bug bowl). Is this a bad routine? I was reading an article and well I felt like a bad mom lol. Most times when I get bad she is a sleep. 7 pm is her bed time, how do you guys with busy schedules care for your bearded dragons? Oh I also set up little meal preps at night in cause I have to wake up 5am . Any ideas and advice is much appreciated.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Hi!
I also get up early, and put salad in Norbert's tank just before I leave for work. His lights are on timers, and his basking light comes on about 15 minutes before I leave, and then the UVB light comes on about 30 minutes after the basking light. Reverse order at night, with total time for the basking light on at about 14 hrs (so 13 for the UVB). That leaves enough time for a meal of bugs when I get home, with 2 hrs of basking/heat available after. You have to work with the schedule you have, though, so if you need to do just the morning feeding, your dragon can eat at will (and some of them *like* crunchy salad - it won't hurt him). :0) BSFL are great for leaving in the tank in the morning, too. As long as they and their dish are dry, they won't get out of it, and even if they do, they're completely harmless as larvae and as flies (also a good dragon snack).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just like Jumpin, I offer salad first thing in the morning. Even if I'm leaving before lights turn on. That doesn't matter. It will be there ready for them when they wake up. You can also get escape proof worm bowls, and do the same with some worms in the morning so they are available when Yeti wakes.

As far as the dry salad, some dragons like the dried salads. It's not bad for them to eat it as long as it's only a day or so old. They miss out on the hydration of the salad items but they still get good roughage and nutrients from it :)

-Brandon

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":12m8wuy0 said:
Just like Jumpin, I offer salad first thing in the morning. Even if I'm leaving before lights turn on. That doesn't matter. It will be there ready for them when they wake up. You can also get escape proof worm bowls, and do the same with some worms in the morning so they are available when Yeti wakes.

As far as the dry salad, some dragons like the dried salads. It's not bad for them to eat it as long as it's only a day or so old. They miss out on the hydration of the salad items but they still get good roughage and nutrients from it :)

-Brandon

Okay that’s good I did find a good ceramic bowl it keeps most bugs in so I won’t put big bugs in unless I’m him since they can escape

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":1pk0nzp7 said:
Hi!
I also get up early, and put salad in Norbert's tank just before I leave for work. His lights are on timers, and his basking light comes on about 15 minutes before I leave, and then the UVB light comes on about 30 minutes after the basking light. Reverse order at night, with total time for the basking light on at about 14 hrs (so 13 for the UVB). That leaves enough time for a meal of bugs when I get home, with 2 hrs of basking/heat available after. You have to work with the schedule you have, though, so if you need to do just the morning feeding, your dragon can eat at will (and some of them *like* crunchy salad - it won't hurt him). :0) BSFL are great for leaving in the tank in the morning, too. As long as they and their dish are dry, they won't get out of it, and even if they do, they're completely harmless as larvae and as flies (also a good dragon snack).

Yeah my lights are automatic too and that’s good to know cause the salad by the time I got home was dried out and flakey so I was worried about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom