Oh boy new baby new problems . Won’t eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
By new baby I mean my pet Yeti, my other baby is a Mexican black king snake. Omg she still won’t eat ?.how ever today she actually let me hold her for an hour. To a point when my alarm went off to let me know get my behind ready for work it took me forever to put her back into her tank lol. She would climb up my arm and chest lol and I keep explaining to her I need to go to work to pay for the food you are not eating cause reptiles can’t get a job or food stamps .oh and she did let me feed her a few pieces of greens buuuuut she won't touch any bugs now ??‍♀️. I'm at a lost ,feel stressed like I’m racing against death to not take my Yeti from me due to starvation . One awesome member Brandon is helpful and gave me some hope. I got her on Tuesday, I’ve tried all types of bugs . I read so many articles online , I spoke to many people in person . I can’t seem to figure her out. She’s white but right now she’s grey, not sure if she’s about to shed but I’m starting to think she’s not stressed . She really seem to be okay with sitting on my shoulders and watching utube videos on “can’t get your dragon to eat”. The 2 things that I haven’t tried yet was reading an actual book and taking her to the vet . Since this seems to be a thing among dragons I’m not considering the vet yet. If anyone has helpful tips or funny stories of your struggle with your pet to calm my nerves I would greatly appreciate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did Brandon go over your tank set up w / you ? Its normal for them to go thru relocation stress and slow down on eating --- but to quit eating is not good --- how much is she eating I know you said she wont touch bugs now --- she looks like she is going thru complete body shed -- that would slow her down on eating as well or it could some it doesnt really effect-- if you tank set up was not discussed we need to address it now -- lighting in the tank and basking temps play a huge role in their behavior eating and over all health-- did you post pics of the tank and lighting if not please do so

Karrie

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She would eat like 5 small pieces of collard greens like the size of a pinky nail.
This is her tank it’s 18w by 36l by 24h
I’m using a 150 watt bulb exo Terra day time heat lamp multi purpose. The other light I’m using is Arcadia D3+ T-5 34 Inch 39 Watt *12% Desert UVB* The Original Reptile HO T5

Her basking area is a gradient of 90s to 110

I can take more pictures if you need, right now I’m at work.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB do you have a piece of decor sitting under it that is approx 6-8 inches from the basking spot--- If she cant get under neath it to bask and beings its on top of screen is probably the issue for not eating-- she needs to be able to sit under it 6-8 inches away---- the basking temp should be 105-110 if shes a baby another reason for not eating --- what do her poops look like? they need to be formed and moist --- the urate moist not chalky --- dry--- any undigested food?
Karrie

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Omg I was told it’s okay to put the basking area 3 inches away from the light . Also when it was lower the basking area was not reaching the temperatures she needed. I will observe her poop again but it was fine however the last time she pooped I’m not sure how long ago it was but the urinate was chalky. That happened the day before.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB is a T 5? and on top of screen? if its on top of screen it needs to 6-8 inches from basking the screen filters out approx 30% of those rays - if you can put it in the tank it would need to be 12-15 inches from basking area --- and the cover should be off the bulb --- meaning bulb exposed --- when you said 3 inches from basking are your referring to the UVB or the heat lamp? Also chalky urate means dehydrated --- how is he getting his moisture -? is he drinking from a bowl or does he drink from a bath?
Karrie

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The uvb is a t5 , it won’t fit inside the tank since it’s the same size as the tank. So if I put it above do I ditch the screen? Also the heat lamp is 3 inches away from basking area because I was told it would be fine because the 2nd day I had her I was struggling to get the right temperatures and now I have the highest wattage basking light 150w. No she is not drinking water so I will try to get her to do that . I have not tried to see if she wanted water . Sorry I’m reading and being told bad information. I was told they don’t drink water they get it from bugs and to mist their salad with water. When I get home I will make the adjustments and send pictures.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If she will drink from a bowl that is great --- but my guess she isnt going to so you need to get her in the bath warm water and see if she will drink 10 minutes or so----- yes spraying the vegies or washing the salad before feeding will help w/ hydration ---- what are the basking temps for her now --- sitting 3 inches away from that 150 watt bulb seems to me to be way too hot and close --- please get a temp w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probe --- but you need to get a actual basking temp ---- is she basking under that heat lamp---- if you take the screen off UVB will be sitting across kiddy wampas?? Or width wise not length wise? If that is the case you want it 12-15 inches away because there will be no screen to block those rays---- one way to tell for hydration is their poop - it should be moist and formed urate should be moist and formed as well --- if it looks dried out and chalky they are dehydrated --- if there is extra water when they go to the bathroom that is ok means they are hydrated as well ---
Karrie

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

This is what I have and it fluctuates from 90s to 110 f I put the probe on the basking and when I left this morning it was 109 . I’m going to go to the hardware store on my luck break . To make sure I understand if I leave the screen the light has to be inside the tank? My light is to big to go in the tank . But if I have the light hang I can leave the screen? Or I have to take off the screen?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you can leave the screen on but the basking spot should be 6-8 inches directly below UVB - if you take the screen off the basking spot should be 12-15 inches below-- w/ no screen the rays are going to be stronger -- so its up to you whether you want the screen on or off --- it is your choice --- basking temps look good you want them 95-110 and you say she has a gradient of where she wants to sit correct? If that is correct that is good ----- her not eating probably has a lot to do w/ 1-- being dehydrated they wont eat if they are --- 2 the UVB needs to be correct distance--- she wont be able to absorb the calcium she needs to from her food --- so get some water in her even syringe feeding water to her little at a time so she doesnt aspirate- I would try a bath first and see if she will drink--- I would figure out the easiest for the UVB --- it is easier to move decor in tank than monkeying around w/ the UVB light ---
Karrie

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay so She will still get all the uvb she needs with the screen on as long as it’s 6-8 inches below hmmmm the problem is my basking light because when I move it down the temps are really off and I don’t want to take off the screen because I do have spiders in my house...... thank you for taking time out to figure this out with me I really appreciate you .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so leave screen on and piece of decor sitting under it 6-8 inches from UVB bulb--- that is the easiest -- watch her behavior and see if she starts eating better and pooping better
Karrie

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHE ATE !!!!!!! The basking area is 6ins away from the light , sorry I don’t know why I thought it was 3 inches . I’m starting to think she just wants to eat out of a plastic container . I gave her a bath but she didn’t drink . So I’m going to make sure she drinks water . I really hope she will be consistent with eating . She must have ate like 10 small
Dubian roaches . It doesn’t help I’m ruining her sleep pattern. I have her lights set for 7am to 7 pm and I got home around 10 ish . I woke her up, and gave her a bath. She wouldn’t eat out the ceramic bowl . I don’t know if it’s luck or I need to buy a plastic container . Gosh I was terrified at work the whole day thinking about her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok she needs to have 2-3 hrs of basking time after a meal-- so you need to figure out some schedule for feeding that allows that time frame++ - I am glad she ate
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom