Chopped veggie size: How does this look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to figure out how to get Alduîn, our young bearded dragon with MBD and significant mobility challenges, to eat some veggies throughout the day. Occasionally he'll eat a few mouthfuls of finely diced (almost minced) butternut squash if handfed, but usually he just ignores veggies altogether. He is quite young -- probably 4 months old or younger -- but I know it's possible to turn them on to veggies early.

(I'd love to try the "withhold insects until he eats some salad" approach to feeding, but because of his health issues, I use the insects to deliver his medications.)

Anyway, one part of the equation I'm unsure about is how finely to chop the veggies. Here is how I prepared some butternut squash and turnip greens today:

106082-1595479837.jpg

Relative size comparison:

106082-2183603579.jpg

Are these too fine? too coarse? just right?

With thanks,
Aaron

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The butternut you can always shred--- also sweet potato --- the greens look fine -- I cut mine up
Karrie

Yea I use a cheese grater for my squash, Ive also seen people microwave squash too but I dunno how long. Greens are about the same size I do mine

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a fine since for him.

And I agree, you shouldn't withhold his feeders in this case. That method should only be done on healthy dragons. We want Aludîn to get all the nutrients he can get until hes back on his feet :D

It's good that he eats some items at least.
You can try finely chopping some, and putting some bigger leaves together in the same salad and see which he goes for.

-Brandon

skyfishcafe

Original Poster
Karrie, daveferns1, and Brandon, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. I'll give shredding/grating a try with the squash, and including a couple of larger leaves with his greens.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom