Elephant feed plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have looked all over and cant find any info on elephant feed plant ---- does anyone know if its not a safe plant for dragons?
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":14f8np6a said:
I have looked all over and cant find any info on elephant feed plant ---- does anyone know if its not a safe plant for dragons?
Karrie
Because a good plant to just have in the enclosure is succulents

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":23xxpnkt said:
So is elephant plant not a succulent?
Karrie
It is a succulent but if you can't get that than other succulents would be good because they are hardy and dont need that much water and dont dry up easily

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So its needs lots of water ? I am just passing this info on to a another person who is young and inexperienced w/ dragons--- he is wanting to start a bioacative tank ---- he also is not feeding his dragon enough --- 10 crickets per day ----
Karrie

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
"Elephant Feed" has the scientific name of Portulacaria afra, a succulent commonly used in bio-active terrariums for bearded dragon and other desert reptiles. It does not require much watering, but is slightly needier of water than most succulents. They should be treated as a non-toxic decorative.

Guacamole has had some in his "garden" for the past 3 months and is doing great. He doesn't eat much of the elephant feed, though, preferring to eat his normal fresh chopped veggies.

All beardie-safe cacti/succulents may severely change the consistency or frequency of your dragon's poop. As such, when you begin offering elephant feed it is important to monitor your dragon's feces to make sure they are not suffering any issues.

Please be VERY careful using "other succulents". MANY succulents and cacti are poisonous. Safe ones include Elephant Feed (Portulacaria afra), as discussed, many verities of Jade (Crassula ovata), and spineless species of Opuntia cactus (in particular Opuntia Danicolor) are all beardie safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom