Is He Eating Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I'm a little concerned about Figment's eating habits; he's approximately 3 months old (hard to tell for certain, since he's a pet store dragon) and about 9" long (my best estimate; he won't hold still for measuring). I keep reading that they are ravenous at this age. Figment... isn't.

He doesn't do more than nibble at his greens every couple of days - not every day by a long shot - though once a week he'll eat thinly sliced carrot or squash offered by hand, usually. Nightly I've been offering crickets, and he generally starts off strong, chasing after them and gobbling them up, but loses interest after 10 or 15 small or medium crickets. Today he took 5 hornworms about 2-3" long from tweezers before refusing to eat any more. When I first offered him Phoenix Worms he ate a few, but now turns up his nose at them and won't eat them at all.

Should I be concerned? He's regular, poos once every morning, and basks for 95% of his day.

~Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would slow down on the hornworms they are a hydrating worm --- watch his poo for the next few days it may be runnier than normal
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Growing is hard work--anyone who's raised a puppy knows that; they sleep a LOT, and they grow while they sleep. So I don't think his basking is concerning. He may be unusual in that he stops eating after 10-15 crickets because he's full. Commendable for a hunting species.

As long as his weight isn't decreasing, I think he'll be fine--even if finicky.

YMMV

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":323twafy said:
I would slow down on the hornworms they are a hydrating worm --- watch his poo for the next few days it may be runnier than normal

Oh bother... I didn’t realize that. Live and learn, I suppose. He took two more hornworms after I posted, plus half a dozen crickets- it’s the most I’ve seen him eat since I got him two weeks ago. Will keep an eye on his poos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom