Is 100 dubia roaches too much to start a colony? Plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

I'm about to get a baby beardie in a week or so, and I'd like to have a colony of dubia roaches for it.
There's someone near that is selling 100 adult dubia roaches (not sure the ratio of males to females yet). I know a baby beardie wouldn't be able to eat the adults, so I was thinking of getting 350 babies as well (or 1000, which one do yous think would be better?) Would that be a good amount to start with?

Thank you in advance :)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
We've recently had a discussion about whether maintaining your own colony is worth it for only one dragon. (Sorry, can't find the link/thread) My takeaway was that, while dubias are a great staple, you still want to offer some variety, and a colony will eventually produce more roaches than one dragon can consume. You may need a way to divest the surplus.

That said, if you want to set up a colony, it depends on how big you want to go. Whatever scale, the ratio of females to males is generally 4:1. There are many vids on YT demonstrating different ways of setting up & keeping various size colonies.

A couple of alternatives are:
1. Partner up with another (or more) BD keepers in your area--kind of a co-op, sharing expenses, duties, and savings.
2. Some live feeder vendors have set up auto-ship options, to send you enough (whatever) every week/month/whatever.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
100 adults is quite a bit! They are most likely going to be mainly males though I'd imagine. When I first started my colony I think I started with 30 females, and then like 500 mixed sized. And I left them alone. Maybe every once in awhile as a treat I'd take a few out to feed the dragons but for the most part, those numbers are what I bought for a colony. You can start with less, or start with more. The only thing it changes is how quickly you establish a colony and how quickly they will produce for you.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
FWIW, went to a SMALL reptile show today; a couple of vendors were selling "Dubia starter colonies" for $15. I noted the price, but the crowd was dense, so I didn't jot down how many of what were included. Shouldn't be too hard to compare-shop though.
dubia starter colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom