Feeding Schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdonley

Hey everyone,
Our baby Poppy has been with us for 2 weeks now and we're still having problems with her eating dubia roaches. So I was curious what types of schedules other people have used with a baby beardie? I have read to feed them feeders 2-3 times daily, but also read a baby should eat 5-6 days out of the week. Due to my schedule I am only available to offer meals in the AM before work and the PM after work. Yesterday I offered and she maybe ate 1 or 2 dubias and was done. I then put out a salad with collard greens and butternut squash. When I came home she maybe only ate 5 dubia roaches before she refused anymore. This morning I offered again and she outright refused the roaches. I have seen her nibble on some greens, but I don't believe she's eating enough to really fill her up. I just don't know what to do. It has been 2 weeks since we brought her home and there have been a few days she ate well. So is she still adjusting or maybe bored with the dubia roaches? Or should I stop offering her bugs daily and just do 5-6 days a week like I have read? I know there are a lot of questions in there, but I just feel lost right now. I'm a first time beardie owner and I'm really stressed over it. I want to make sure our girl is well cared for.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of your tank and lighting--- this is crucial for digestion eating and over all health-- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun ? stick ons? digital probe?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and post
Karrie

Sdonley

Original Poster
Oh good it worked. So we have a T5 HO in the tube. The double dome has a 150w basking bulb and a 75w because our tank is too deep and the 150 wasnt getting the basking area hot enough. Now it's around 105-110. I have a temp gun and a probe thermometer. The cool side is consistently 79-80. She does really like to lay on the tree up towards the top near the UVB light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am wondering about the heat bulbs -- I have a 150 watt on my 120 gallon tank and it heats up fine --- that is a awful lot of heat in that tank --- 150 + a 75 :shock: -- how far is the basking spot from the UVB? It should be around 10-12 inches-- are you keeping her hydrated ? that sometimes has a lot to do w/not eating ---- also only 2 weeks --- she is going thru relocation stress --- just keep feeding her and she will come out of it --- may take awhile - its when they completely quit eating then theres a problem --- also eating 5 dubias is good at a time - they are filling
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Babies should get live feeders every day. 2 tikes a day is fine. 3 is fine. 1 is fine too! But I'd at least do a feeding per day. I feel 2 is probably best if it works with your schedule.

At 2 weeks it's still possible her appetite isnt fully there yet. Tombo took almost a month before he was eating as voraciously as you here of. But it slowly increased week by week.

Have you tried any other bugs?

What about leaving the dubias in a dish before you leave and letting her munch on them throughout the day.

I've found if they are still a little skittish around you, that they are more reserved when eating too. So leaving them in a dish might help her eat more.

Your setup sounds fine.
As long as she is acting healthy and active, and at least eating something, I wouldn't be too concerned :)

-Brandon

Sdonley

Original Poster
Thanks all! That makes me feel a little better. We have tried calciworms which she has eaten a few when offered. I'm thinking about ordering phoenix worms, but I have a TON of dubias. Lol And Karrie we have a 24" deep tank. I tried the 150w by itself and let it get warmed up, but the basking spot only reached 95 max. I know that will be suitable as she grows, but all the recommendations say at least 100-110 for the babies. I do monitor the temps carefully so they do not exceed what is safe for her. I'm hoping this is just relocation stress. I'll watch as things go for the next few weeks. :)

Sdonley

Original Poster
Happy update! Poppy only had a few bugs this morning but did eat more than she has been. She also ate great tonight! She was excited and ran over to the glass while I was getting the dubias ready. She then ate at least 10-12 roaches. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction and she'll continue to eat for me! Fingers crossed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom