Keeping Greens Fresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Is there any way to keep greens from wilting in the fridge? Figment eats so little of them that I worry about them losing nutritional value over the course of the week.

Sdonley

Not sure about all greens, but we bought turnip greens a week ago. I cut them down into pieces and have been storing it in an air tight container in the fridge. It has been holding up well so far. I'm still a newbie to all this, but that has been working for us. Good luck!

Sam

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I typically dont have trouble keeping greens for a week. Usually 2 weeks just in the crisper of the fridge. If you prewash them they wont last as long. So I only wash them as I use them.
They stay in the thin plastic bags that you pack them in at the produce section.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had best results doing this:

I rinse and then cut the stems when I get home from the store.
Dry the leaves and put them in a ziploc with a folded piece of paper towel.
Draw the air out of the ziploc, seal it, and put it in the crisper in the fridge.

I've been able to keep most greens fresh for several weeks this way. Collards hold up particularly well.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":acwbszva said:
Dry the leaves and put them in a ziploc with a folded piece of paper towel.
Draw the air out of the ziploc, seal it, and put it in the crisper in the fridge.
Well, that explains why I keep finding ziplocs full of salad fixins in the fridge with paper towel stuffed in the bag. :laughing6:
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom