Size of Crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Figment is about 8” long, tip to tip; the pet shop suggested medium crickets, which he crunches up with no problem, but they seem awfully big. Should I be feeding him smaller crickets? He eats between 10-15 mediums in 15 minutes (but all but ignores his greens).

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
If he's eating them without regurgitating, he's probably fine. Has he ever gaped at you? They've got a pretty big freakin' maw & gullet there... :lol:

FWIW, there's a rule of thumb that BDs can eat anything in length up to the distance between their eyes.

That said, I've seen vids of BDs eating larger prey, but usually softer things like a hornworm.

YMMV

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I find they typically digest smaller items easier. I'm talking more from an absorbing nutrients standpoint and not so much an impaction standpoint. On the other side of the coin though, if they are too small sometimes they tend to swallow them, or not chew as much as they would if the prey were a bit bigger. IMO it's another one of those "learn your dragon" situations. I prefer to offer smaller sizes in larger quantities, but that's just my preference.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom