Backwards Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

So I got my boy a little over 2 weeks ago, and he is about 2 months old. The first week I got him, I fed him about 5/7 tiny crickets, and a day later, he threw them all up, completely undigested, and he wouldn't poop. I decided to try mealworms, since that was all I could get at the time, and he seemed to love them for the first couple of days! He even started to poop regularly, and it was healthy and normal poop! But recently, he won't even touch them! I introduced him to leafy greens the other day, and he CANNOT get enough! :lol: I'm a little worried though, because the adult beardies are supposed to be the ones who eat mainly leafy greens and fruits/veggies. Yet, my little one is only two months old, and all he wants to eat are his veggies, fruits, and leafy greens!
I know this is a good thing, because most dragons won't eat that stuff until they're older, but it's also a problem, because I can't get him to eat his protein!
Ya'll ever heard of a little one eating his veggies but not his meat? :lol:
I think that's why I really haven't seen much of a growth spurt with him too...
Any suggestions on what to do here?

Here's a picture of him:
105825-2701584893.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'd suggest trying other types of feeders until you find one he likes.
I'd start with Dubias if they're legal where you are.
You can find tons of information on the nutritional value of various feeders by googling: nutritional value of feeders

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It sounds like he doesnt like crickets --- get him some dubias- you can find them on line at www.dubiaroaches.com -- or amazon.com do a search --- or abdragons.com ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In response to your other question:
katieeee9865":zmn2qita said:
I'm a little worried though, because the adult beardies are supposed to be the ones who eat mainly leafy greens and fruits/veggies. Yet, my little one is only two months old, and all he wants to eat are his veggies, fruits, and leafy greens!
Don't ever be concerned with them eating their veggies! Let them eat as much as they want. Good salads provide tons of nutrients that are necessary and beneficial to their health. I really dislike the mindset that babies don't need to eat their salads. They DO!

The goal is health, not getting them to grow to full size by 8 months old. If he likes his salads, let him at it! But definitely try other bugs with him too.

Variety in the diet is the key to a healthy dragon. Try to feed multiple feeders if you can. And always offer him a good salad! :D

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
+1
claudiusx":2wst4igc said:
Variety in the diet is the key to a healthy dragon. Try to feed multiple feeders if you can.
Yeah, I just can't imagine a BD in the wild coming out of his hide every morning, then trotting over to the nearest [whatever] nest/colony, and eating his fill, day after day. :roll:

BDs are hunters, and get a variety of prey, depending on what they can find! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom