Beardie only wants Repashy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone,

I was told by the vet to increase Pancake's daily feedings to twice a day, and I have had success with his weight at last :D He has gained weight and is staying steady at 300g. But recently, he is going through a very big shed (he's about two years old, and it's literally everywhere that he is shedding. Is this just because he has finally filled out?) I was going through the regular routine of switching between different greens and occasionally adding in Veggie Burger Repashy, and then he just stopped eating the vegetables.

I give him his breakfast around 7AM, and I don't get home from work until 6PM (which is when I give him his supper). He doesn't touch his food at all. He has eaten it around 5PM the last two days, I think because he is hungry, but when I go to give him his second salad, he still won't touch it. If I make some Veggie Burger for him, he will go nuts as soon as he sees it in the bowl and munch it all.

Fresh veggies are of course better for him, but is it okay to feed him the Repashy instead until he gets out of this phase/stops shedding? I don't want him to starve out of his own stubbornness :/

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like he has you well trained.... :whip: :laughing6:

They are smart like that sometimes. They get a taste for something and figure out that if they hold out, they can just wait for what they actually want. Happens all the time with waxworms and superworms sometimes.

The veggie burger is a decent food item, you can continue to feed it to him. Might I suggest adding it to the salad?

-Brandon

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1ybjat0x said:
Sounds like he has you well trained.... :whip: :laughing6:

They are smart like that sometimes. They get a taste for something and figure out that if they hold out, they can just wait for what they actually want. Happens all the time with waxworms and superworms sometimes.

The veggie burger is a decent food item, you can continue to feed it to him. Might I suggest adding it to salad?

-Brandon

My vet says the exact same thing lmao.

He did this with crickets when I first adopted him, but I'm a bit nervous of not giving him what he wants because this is the first time he's actually kept weight on (yes, I probably worry about him too much but he's my scale baby lol)

I've tried mixing it in the salad. He just picks it out or won't touch the salad at all ._. Even if I make it into a salad dressing consistency.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Haha, well there could certainly be worse things to be addicted to! I'd let it run its course for a week or two and see how he acts towards it after that. Typically I'd advise just cutting it out completely if its causing that sort of behavior, but its apparent you're trying to get him to gain some weight so just let it be i'd say. :D

-Brandon

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's already been going on for about a week :/ However last night he wasn't too interested in the repashy. He ate it this morning and had about half of his supper salad. Fingers crossed this means he's beginning to get bored of it :lol:

Thanks for your advice! :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well that's good to hear thanks for the update! I still haven't tired any of the repashy products yet. I might just have to get some. I saw a video recently of a group of dragons going absolutely crazy over it.

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It was weird, but one of my guys had eaten dubias prior to brumation but when he came out, he wouldn't touch them. For a while, all we could get him to eat were hornworms, which I know isn't a staple. At some point, though, he decided dubias were fine again and now happily munches them down. I wonder if this is the beardie equivalent of "even filet mignon gets old after a while"? :lol:

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":9qdz338p said:
Well that's good to hear thanks for the update! I still haven't tired any of the repashy products yet. I might just have to get some. I saw a video recently of a group of dragons going absolutely crazy over it.

-Brandon

I have grub pie and veggie burger, primarily as a backup in case I can't get any bugs or veggies since I live in the middle of nowhere lol. Pancake loves both (the grub pie one is a little smelly though, just a warning). They work pretty nicely as a salad dressing too to change things up a bit.

Aaradimian":9qdz338p said:
It was weird, but one of my guys had eaten dubias prior to brumation but when he came out, he wouldn't touch them. For a while, all we could get him to eat were hornworms, which I know isn't a staple. At some point, though, he decided dubias were fine again and now happily munches them down. I wonder if this is the beardie equivalent of "even filet mignon gets old after a while"? :lol:

Beardies are so strange :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom