Question on Veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there!
I had a question on 'salads' for bearded dragons. Mine is 10 months as of this post, and seems to have a ravenous appetite for crickets. He eats maybe... a piece of collard green or kale once in a while. But he hasn't eaten things like carrots, papaya, etc. Sometimes I've put some can-o-worms (the meal worm tin) on top just for a bit of an enticer (but doesn't seem too interested in those; I tried them because I got them in a kit a while back and figured may as well try it).

I made a few small ziplocks of salads (collard green, kale, carrot shavings, a little bit of celery leaves, and a bit of papaya). The thing is though, he never really eats all of it, so its mostly going to waste by the end of the week, and I try to balance work with pre-prep each week so I just pull it out and give it to him.

My question is: has anyone tried to do a blend of daily-friendly veggies/fruits to make into a paste? Similar to what a crested gecko might get in a crested gecko diet formula, but all fresh stuff. I was thinking if I could freeze most of it, let it thaw over night, feed the next day, I might not waste as much food and he'd still be getting a good variety that way. I wasn't sure if there was any rules against trying this or if its been tried/failed?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His main diet is bugs --- he is 10 months old he needs the protein at this point-- just keep offering a variety of greens - turnip or mustard and collard maybe some squash-- try some fruit like apple strawberry raspberries blueberries - green beans are good - you will haft to see what he likes ---- Hiccup is 18 months old and barely eats vegies at all - only if I hand feed him and then its only a few bites--
Karrie

PoisonedPaint

Original Poster
Oh, awesome! Thank you very much Karrie! :) How many months old should I be trying to get him to eat more veggies past 18 months, if you know? I think the handler I got him from mentioned a year + he would be an adult?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just keep offering them to him every day ---- at some point he may start eating them --- try hand feeding him different stuff and who knows he may find something he really likes -- if your concerned w/ him and his eating and you think hes losing weight weigh him on a kitchen scale --- they go by grams- so rule of thumb a dragon over a year or around a year over 400 grams is good -- so you can go by that --- Hiccup is 18 months and weighs 480 - you can weigh him every week or every 2 - keep track and you will know if he needs to eat more or if hes sustaining ---
Karrie

PoisonedPaint

Original Poster
Ok, sounds good! For now he seems like hes really active/happy with crickets/seems to be a great weight so I'm not worried at all lol, I was just going by the 80/20 veggie/insect thing, but I realized he was a bit younger than I thought :) Ill keep offering veggies/fruits every now and then.

Thanks again Karrie for the wealth of info!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom