Adult Bearded Dragons and Live Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bweiser18

I have a year and a half old female. Roughly about 18 inches long. Extremely healthy and by no means fat at all. Once she turned into an adult I’ve limited live feeders to about twice a week. She eats salads and fruit about everyday. As for feeders I switch it between crickets, Dubai roaches, butter worms, super worms. As a baby I would offer as many as she would eat. I’m still doing that as an adult. For example she will eat like 40 something crickets or more. But I only give her that once or twice a week. This weekend she ate 40-50 butter worms in a sitting! But hasn’t had live food yet this week. Is it okay for her to be eating that many in a sitting? Like I said. She’s a great healthy beardie! Not fat at all what so ever. She’s actually kinda tiny compared to a lot of others I see.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not really too bad. She's still a bit young and might grow a little more. I don't like to give adults as many as they will eat as they usually will eat more than they need. If a salad is being eaten daily they really don't need much feeders. The feeders are there really to add a little bit of necessary protein, and a little bit of necessary fat. Both vital nutrients, but both can provide issues if too much is given.

It's a balancing act that can't really be advised on so black and white (such as give this many dubias, or this many crickets) simply because you kind of just get to know your dragons.

Hope that makes sense!

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
One meal of live insects per day , fresh salad daily.

Watch the growth rate, when the growth rate tapers off (flattens) and stays level for a few months cut back on the number of insects per day .

We don't have butterworms available here commercially as feeders so I can't guide you on it that number of butterworms is excessive, how much does say 10 butterworm weigh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom