Where should I feed Argon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermanji

My beardie is called Argon. He has feeding issues. He’s probably 3 or 4 years old and is 40cm long (15 3/4 inches). He readily eats live food any time of day - crickets, locusts, morio worms. He used to eat veg but only if hand fed and only a few bites. Now he barely even takes it out of my hand. He’s recently been constipated so I’ve increased bath times and feeding water with a dropper.
The trouble is I’m at work during optimal feeding times and I really want to be able to leave food in a dish when I leave the house. I’ve tried this with all types of veg, fruit and salad but he doesn’t touch it. Now I’m trying moistened food pellets but he hasn’t tried any yet.
I’ve always assumed that I should leave food in the cool end of the tank but now I’m wondering. I haven’t found any guidance on the best spot in the tank to leave food. Does this make a difference?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Salad should be left in the cool end just to help it last longer. How many insects are you feeding him per day/week?

Hes kind of small for a 4 year old dragon. He should be fully grown. Is he missing part of his tail?

Appetite can largely be attributed to proper temperatures and proper lighting. We could go over your setup with you to make sure it's up to par if you'd like.

-Brandon

Hermanji

Original Poster
I’m pretty confident in the setup. I’ve got a ceramic basking lamp with rock and cork platforms under it. I’ve got a hide under the UV lamp that he likes to lay on top of. I’ve got a digging box in the cool end. He moves about between them when he needs. Cool end is kept at 26degC during the day and it’s about 30 degC in the middle. I think he’s got all of his tail but he’s possibly a smaller variety - he’s a vibrant orange colour. We were feeding him average 10 bugs every 2 or 3 days and he was eating some veg in between - kale, squash, dandelion greens etc. but only if hand fed. His appetite has never up to much and he would stop eating and bask. He also never drinks from the bowl although it’s always topped up with fresh water.

Now he just won’t touch veg. I’ve tried to reduce bugs to see if he will get hungry and eat the veg. I’ve also been feeding him water since he was badly constipated recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom