Mealworms and mealworm beetles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin797

Hi there,

I know there is debate among bearded dragon owners as to whether or not beardies can eat mealworms. I was hoping to hear some of your opinions on this matter. I've heard they are kind of like fast-food; I have a beardie that is 4-5 months old, I have a small mealworm colony (because they are hella easy to bread) that I use as treats or for emergencies (like when I run out of crickets. My little guy loves them and doesn't seem to have any issues with digesting them, even if I give him a whole meal of mealworms (excuse the pun). In my ideal world, I would raise my little guy with mealworms as a staple as they are so easy and cheap to breed and keep (crickets are annoying, and dubias aren't an option for me unfortunately). Any thoughts?

Also, I've heard that beardies can actually eat the mealworm beetles as well. Some people even say the beetles are more healthy than the worms. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone. You are always so helpful.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In regards to the beetles, I don't know if they are healthier but they are edible.

Imo and experience, feeding mealworms is fine as long as your husbandry is proper and you're an active part of your dragons life. Eg you actually pay attention to its behavior, its pooing habits, etc.
That being said, I never recommend feeding only 1 type of insect. Variety is key to proper health, and mealworms do fit the bill as far as an option to add variety to the diet.
There are other insects out there that are better, but that doesnt mean mealworms aren't ok.

TlDR: they are fine. Dont feed only mealworms. Variety is the key to health :)

-Brandon

Muffin797

Original Poster
Thanks for the response Brandon. Would it be alright to pivot so that mealworms become the staple insect and crickets be the other insect so that there is still variety in the diet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Meal worms for a staple I was told for an adult dragon is fine but for a baby the exo skeleton is too hard on their stomachs---------------- I would look at getting some dubia roaches as a staple and they are just as easy to care for --- they can be kept in a tote or 10 gallon tank and fed dubia food along w/ carrots / squash/ apples /strawberries etc........ and they are way healthier than crickets as they tend to give parasites/ pinworms
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen any issues with younger dragons digesting mealworms. As long as they are appropriately sized like any other feeder insect.

I hesitate to say I'd recommend them as a staple, because there are better options for staples such as dubia roaches like karrie suggested, but I have used them as staples for periods of time with other feeders mixed in.

I would say use your own discretion. As long as you understand the benefits of a varied diet, and you follow that train of thought, your dragon will do just fine.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom