Beardie not swallowing superworm(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

my two and a half year olf (about 18 inches) is not swallowing a superworm or two, causing him to hiccup. This rarely happens, but iv seen it in the past. I fed him 5 superworms, which he ate extremely fast, and started to hiccup. I opened his mouth (i rub the sides of his mouth and he opens it) and i see a half eating superworm in his throat. Any concerns? I'v seen this happen before a few months ago, and he is usually fine the next day.

His beard from the outside looked like he had food in his mouth, as iv heard some beardies keep food in their mouths (or throat/beard), iv actually seen mine keep pieces of veggies like collard greens in his throat/beard sometimes, and it looks like he has food in it. So this time after I fed him superworms it looked like that and upon inspecting the inside, there was one or two.

this time he only hiccuped like 3 times over the span of 10 minutes.

I'm pretty sure its because he ate them way too quick. And it was my fault too, for feeding him the 5 superworms in such a short span of time. He's been eating his veggies only for the last 3 or 4 days and wanted to give him bugs today. He acted like he hasnt eaten in years, and was too excited/active that it made me happy so i kept giving him superworms, lol. It was weird, i mean i feed him daily of course, mostly greens with bugs here and there aside from today, but yeah, he acted like he hasnt eaten in years LOL

93594-6181057324.jpg
This is him after hiccuping and finally swallowing that superworm. He is shedding big time :lol: I soaked him to help his shed, and when I put in back in his tank he literally walked over the dangling loose shed and ripped it in half. You can see the half under his belly

bonus pic:
93594-5218665395.jpg
buddy looking very regal. I love him. I freak out every time something is wrong, like his hiccups today
this was taken about 2 weeks ago

UPDATE: looks like he swallowed it now, his beard looks fine (flat).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They will hold food in their throats sometimes before swallowing. It doesnt usually cause them to hiccup though. I would try to feed him only 1 at a time and see if that helps at all.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom