Supers as a staple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I know it's probably been asked a thousand times but what are your thoughts on super worms as a staple feeder. I've heard both sides but I'm still curious. Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use them for adults as a staple but they are severely limited. That being said, still the best way to health is variety. I dont really like using the term staple just because it implies that they are all that need to be fed. Variety is key :)

For growing dragons I dont use them as staples because the fat content they have makes it impossible to give enough protein without overdoing it on fat. They still get some for varieties sake but it's not the bulk of the insect diet.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rubble1212":2zryurwz said:
I know it's probably been asked a thousand times but what are your thoughts on super worms as a staple feeder. I've heard both sides but I'm still curious. Thanks

Superworms are NOT suitable to use as a staple for any beardied dragon.

Ref to viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

They are better used as treats and bribes and very sparingly ( never more than 2 or 3 supers in a sitting ).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nothing in those charts say anything. Everyone knows they have higher fat levels than other feeder options. And FWIW, I dont feed more than 3-4 a day to adults 3 times a week. That is suitable to meet protein and fat requirements.

Fat is a key nutrient in the diet. Adults dont need much protein, and being fed salads and low fat insects especially low fat insects in small numbers leaves the dragons body starved for dietary fats.

Adults are susceptible to organ and other health issues when fed a diet too high in protein. which means your adults aren't going to be getting much fat in their diets if only fed a few low fat feeders.

Fat can also cause issues. But that's why they are limited. And like I said, all my dragons get varied diets, and have for the past 20 years.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom