Dubias and Phoenix for adults

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5 yr old had problems awhile back and it came down to I wasn't using the correct wattage of UVB. Currently he is in a 40 gallon breeder with the Arcadia T5 HO 12%. He was doing really well until about 3 days ago when I noticed he is back to dragging his left leg. It doesn't bother him or slow him down. He is still active. We are in the process of getting a larger viv for him. I think some has to do with him wanting to be out of his house. He runs around so much I am afraid he will hurt himself so we let him run around for a bit in the living room a couple times a day. Basking temps are right around 97°. Cooler side about 70°.

Ok here's my questions.... Dubias how many a day should I give him? He is 550 grams and 17" long. Part of his tail was missing when we got him. Down from 710 grams back in December.
The same question for Phoenix worms?

I also use only Repashy calcium plus with Vitamin D3. He eats a variad salad every other day per the vet. I do not dust the Phoenix worms, but I do the dubias.
Should I be using a calcium only supplement? I am concerned he is getting to much Vitamin D3.

Thanks in advance!

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
A 5 year old only needs bugs 2-3 times a week. He needs a salad every day. When he gets bugs you should let him eat as many as he wants for about 15 mins or so.

So I guess the answer is as many as he will eat, but only 2 or 3 times per week.

Kyle

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
No need to dust the BSFs. As long as you have good UVB the Repashy calcium plus is probably fine. The D3 in that one is not a super high amount. It’s not the HyD one correct?

I use the Repashy calcium plus as well. It’s a good product in my opinion.

Kyle

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Also you should try and get your cool side up to about 80 and maybe the basking spot a few degrees higher although at 5 years 97 degrees on the basking spot may be pretty close to adequate. Your dragon should let you know about the basking spot but maybe 100 would help him out some

Amuseismom

Original Poster
Thanks Kyle for your help!
Yes I just use the Repashy Plus. I have used it since we got him.
I ordered some Phoenix worms and Dubia roaches, both say they do not need to be dusted. He loves both of them and I was concerned about giving him to many. So I set a Sunday/Wednesday/Friday schedule for him. And he loves his salads.
I raises his temp to 100° and he seemed much more active and happy.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
I would dust the roaches. They don’t have the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio like the BSF do. That’s why the bsf don’t need dusted. Plus the Repashy calcium plus also has the trace minerals and vitamins your dragon needs. Dusting the dubias when he eats those 2x a week should be good as at that age he needs less supplementation than a young dragon. That coupled with his daily salads and he should be all set.

Kyle

Amuseismom

Original Poster
I went and looked up about dusting the roaches and I was wrong it doesn't say they don't need dusted. And then I got thinking when we last gave Amusei roaches we dusted them. So I am glad you replied. Not sure why I didn't remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom