Can you overfeed a Juvenile greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisAH

So my bearded dragon is maybe about 3 or 4 months old and he does eat a lot of insects (maybe like 20 each feeding during a 10-15min time period, twice each day) and we also leave fresh Kale in a small bowl in his cage each time we feed him. He absolutely loves it and he always finishes most of it before the next feeding. Is it possible to over feed him veggies? Or that we may be over feeding him at all? I’ve seen some websites saying the insect to veggies diet should be around 70% to 30%.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes eating the right amount of insects and hes a good boy eating his vegies already!! :D I would mix them tho like mustard collard and turnip greens - some squash like yellow zucchini and butternut shredded- and I dont think you can over feed them vegies --- the kale ? I have heard pros and cons on that one --- so I just stick to the staple greens like I mentioned above
Karrie

ChrisAH

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply :) and what kind of cons? For some reason I can’t find any other greens other than collard and kale. I’ve tried collard greens already and he didn’t like it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just that the calcium binds to it --- so its one of the vegies I have avoided but others feed - where do you shop? Is there a Walmart there where you live ? As far as I know I have never had a problem getting turnip greens or collard or mustard -- I quit w/ the mustard cuz they dont last as long as the collards and turnip greens-- we have different grocery chains where I live too like Cub Coborns Cash Wise and Aldi Target--- so if Walmart doesnt have this stuff other grocerie stores do
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look on this board and check out the nutrition site - there it has all kinds of stuff you can feed and what you should not feed
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My experience is that a juvenile dragon will eat what it needs.

So I try to offer enough live insect protein to sustain their growth and development , 4 month olds this means AT LEAST TWO MEALS of live insects per day and I offer salad later in the day and leave it for them for overnight until their first insect meal next day. I offer them the insects 1 or 2 at a time until they loose interest in the insects at each feeding, they wont eat more that can fit in..

This has worked well for me for my hatchlings and juveniles.

IMO you can overfeed a juvenile greens if this means they loose interest in their live insects and don't get the insect proteins and fats they REALLY NEED.
The salad items I tend to offer are
>>> buk or puk choy greens (for Ca and fibre, not the whites - I feed that part to my crickets, superworms and mealworms
>>> kale greens (for Ca and fibre)
>>> raw peas chopped (for protein)
>>> raw green beans chopped (for protein)
>>> grated carrot (for hydration and colour)
>>> grated sweet potato (for K and hydration)
- I add dandelion greens (rich in Ca and fibre), nasturtium greens (same)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To answer your original question I'll say no.

Protein isnt the only thing needed for a dragon to grow, and its definitely not the only thing needed for them to be healthy.

So many people now a days have one goal in mind and that's to get their dragons to grow as quick as possible and feed feed feed.

The goal should be to get and keep your dragon healthy for its entire life. And you need vitamins and minerals that healthy salads provide to do that. So I always shudder when I hear people say dont worry about giving your baby greens because it only needs insects. If you want a healthy dragon to live a long healthy life, you should get them eating greens as soon as possible.

Beaded dragon care is a lot like child care. In the sense that there are multiple ways to raise a dragon, but there will always be someone there judging you and telling you you're wrong if you dont raise your dragon how they do or they think you should.

I have never fed babies 2-3 times a day on a regular schedule. My hatchlings might get 2 feeder meals per day, but once they are a couple months old all my dragons have always gotten 1 live feeding per day and a salad every morning. Occasionally I'll give them 2 feedings of insects but we are talking maybe 2 or 3 times a month. And the kicker, they all grow up at normal healthy rates. in fact I have 2 youngins right now that I'm feeding this way. And they both are outgrowing some users growth charts here currently and past members growths. Not that I care about their growth rates, I just want them to be healthy and not develop liver issues later in life.

Point is like king said, they know what they want, let him eat as much salad as he wants. Sometimes they might be lacking a nutrient and their body tells them they need to focus on greens for a few days or a week. No Ill will come to your dragon from it not eating as much insects as some suggest. Its arguably safer.

But like I said, opinions, baby dragons and baby humans lol.

-Brandon

Fyre

You can, they may be picky, so try a variety of greens or healthy fruit/vegetables. Its better getting them to eat fruit/veg sooner. You should slowly give them more greens untill 2/3rds of their diet is greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom