7 month old beardie not eating as much

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhvee

Hello! My approximately 7-month-old beardie has been changing up his eating schedule (and consequently, his bowel movement schedule as well) and I'm not sure what's going on.

I've had him for about a month now, and up until a week ago, he was steadily eating 20 large dubias twice a day at 12 PM and 6 PM, chowing down on his salad, and always going potty on time at 2 PM. I ran out of dubias for about a day or so (the new shipment of dubias was late), so he had to go a day with just salad. On that same day, I went on vacation out of the country and my baby was under my mom's care for the time being, with whom he's familiar with (she's fed and held him before and he knows her). For the first day, after we got the roaches in, he was eating and pooping normally.

However, over the week during which I was gone for vacation and my mom was taking care of him, he began to eat less per feeding (dropping down to ~10 at 12 PM and ~15 at 6 PM) each day and also started pooping earlier and earlier before his usual 2 PM mark. I've been back for a couple of days now, and yesterday, he ate ~9 dubias for lunch and ~14 for dinner, although he refused to eat at 6 PM and instead ate at 7 PM, and pooped at 8 in the morning right when he woke up. Today, he peed sometime in the morning before I woke up (but no poop) and has flat out refused to eat lunch. He's been plenty alert and his urates/poop all look just fine (soft white urates and firm, normal-colored stool). I will note that he is currently shedding on his tail, which I'm not sure affects his appetite/bowel movements or not. He's shed other areas before and had no changes to his appetite. Here's a photo of him (after refusing his lunch even when I put the dubia right up to his mouth):

104301-8876545336.jpg

I've kept an eye on his weight, and he doesn't appear to be losing weight but he isn't gaining much either. He was 249 grams a week ago and this morning he's 252 grams. Any ideas as to what's going on? I feel like he's too young to want to drop down to one insect feeding a day, but is that a possibility? Also, should I keep trying to offer him even after he refuses, or should I just offer him at the scheduled time (i.e., 12 PM), and if he doesn't take it, then offer again at the next scheduled feeding time (i.e., 6 PM)? Much thanks in advance from a worried beardie parent!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yes just keep offering food - they tend to go off their feeding when shedding and it looks like hes gonna shed a good one - I would give him a soak in the bath to help w/ the shed and take a soft tooth brush and brush him - I am sure hes grumpy as they tend to get that way when shedding -
Karrie

marhvee

Original Poster
Thank you for your advice! I've been monitoring his temps and his behavior as closely as I can, and his temps have been fine and he's been relatively active/alert. I'm giving him frequent baths (as much as he sometimes loathes them, lol) and it seems that it's helping his tail a bit. He was able to eat around 3 dubias for lunch and 12 more for dinner (as well as his salad in-between) today, so it seems that he has an appetite, even if a bit small. I'll continue to keep a close eye on him as he keeps shedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom