Are these crickets too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought these crickets and I lm worries that they’re too big for my baby bearded dragon? They would fit in between the eyes width wise but if you turned the crickets the long way then they’d be bigger than the width, looks like they have a little stinger on their butts and it looks like they have tiny little kings growing up near their necks idk. I worry. It’s really hard to tell
In the pictures but they’re big !

104453-983520784.jpg

104453-2898479216.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would think he would be able to eat that --- just dont leave them in the tank over nite- crickets tend to bite and could cause an infection - if you can I would switch your guy over to dubia roaches - they are way better for him - they dont stink and they dont chirp--- also they last longer and easier to keep- in a tote or 10 gallon tank - you can feed them carrots squash apples strawberries-
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Thank you karrie! I’ve been having some issues with the Dubia Roaches as well tho lol, I have about 150 of them and I’m having a hard time getting him to eat them, he tends to go after the crickets because they move around but the roaches hide so well, so he doesn’t get them in time! I’ve tried taking him out and putting him on a plate and in a little Tupperware bin with roaches but he gets stressed and won’t eat them and just tried to get out! So I’m trying to think of ways, I tried putting some roaches in a little glass bowl so that he could eat them when he felt like it inside his tank but he wouldn’t touch them! He’s been doing pretty good eating , this is I think the 6th day I’ve had him. I felt he was doing well but yesterday and today he doesn’t seem to want to eat very much! He was doing his eye bulge about 4-5 days ago, maybe he’s about to shed and losing his appetite? Yesterday and today are also the only two days that I gave him these large crickets which I measured are about an 1/2- inch! And the space between his eye I think is 1/2 inch. So could these big crickets just be filling him up? Thank you for the reply! I’m glad I found this site! Also my baby is 6 inches long!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes got relocation stress -- hang on to the roaches they will outlast the crickets-- it is not uncommon for them to quit eating after you first bring them home- give him some time and he will pick up eating again- can you tell us what kind of lighting you have in the tank for him --- where did you get him from?
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
I got him from petco and at first we got
Him a 75 watt basking light which I replaced with a 100 watt Exo Terra intense basking bulb Becaus it wasn’t warm enough. So I have the 100 watt basking bulb a 10.0 coil uvb bulb and a 100 watt heat emitter. I have to have all three together to get it warm enough for some reason.... I just ordered the t5 24” hood and tf 10.0 uvb 22” bulb for it. It should be here next week, which stinks wish I had it now....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What size tank do you have him in? And good deal on the UVB-- those coils are not good-- depending on screen fine or wide hole will depend on where you mount the UVB- fine mesh inside- wide hole screen can go on top--- basking spot 105-110--- cool side of tank 80's--at nite not below 65-- how are you taking temps? Infrared heat gun is best-- digital probe will work---
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
I think it’s A 30 gallon tank and it have the regular screen top I’d consider them big maybe? Here is a picture of the lights on top, I’ve even been putting that blanket on half of it parts of the day to help keep the heat in! I e been having a hard time getting it warm enough during the day, night I think it’s been about 72 or so! I wish I had set the tank up and gotten it all correctly regulated before I bought the little guy! Too late now ugh, I’m glad he’s here I just want him to be happy and healthy of course! I’m afraid to leave the house.... because I check on him often and move his lights around a little. I’ve been using a heat/temp gun, I’ve been opening the lid and putting it in the tank and aiming at the spots to take the temp, when I do it through the glass it seems about 5 give or take degrees cooler...

104453-1780560096.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That looks like a fine mesh - if you can get a better picture of the screen we can tell --- for the heating you can go to a higher watt bulb like a 150- temp gun should be inside the tank approx 2-4 inches from basking spot--- before you do anything else lets get your lights in order - the UVB is not going to make a difference in heat--- your basking spot should be what your concerned about - if you have the correct basking temp that is good - your cool side of tank at nite is good if its 72- what is it during the day ?
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
The cool side has been about 80 -85 and in the warm spots 95-103, so I suppose I’ll get a higher wattage again! People were saying be careful
Not to burn so I was afraid to get a bigger watt bulb but it’s looming like that what it’s going to take! I will get one ASAP! I will take a pic of the screen and post it in a minute here! Thank you for your help I really do appreciate it!

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Also, the cool side can be about 78-82 when the blanket isn’t on top but sometimes I put the blanket on top when the hot side isn’t seeming to be hot enough and the. Because the blanket is there the cool side starts to warm up too much so I take it off, so I guess I better just go get a 150 watt bulb ASAP, do you recommend any 150 watt type bulbs that I could get locally at a Walmart or local store instead of pet store,? If not hen I’ll have to pick it up tomorrow at the petco I’ll be near! Thank hou

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the temps are 95-103--- a little warmer to 105-110 -- if you put in a higher watt make sure you get a temp -- you don't want it too much higher - that temp of 95-103 will be good as he gets older-- and that screen is fine mesh meaning the UVB will need to go into the tank--- approx 10-11 inches from basking spot-- I am still getting mine from Petco or petsmart- I tried one from home Depot and it was way too hot! I have tried house hold bulbs and they weren't hot enough- so I just have stayed w/ the EXO terro-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom