2 Month old only eats maybe 1 to 2 roaches per feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrippcsci

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":2oykr7fw said:
I just have flagstone rocks that I bought at Home Depot in the garden section. Good soak with f10 solution and bake in the oven for awhile to sterilize

What is f10 solution? Or do you have any instructions on baking? His basking light is in the low side of the tank and his hammock is higher in the cool side. Not sure if that’s right. Can you all post some pics of your setup so I can compare?

Also, is there a way to add you all as friends on here to stay in touch or ask questions later. This as been amazing help.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
btrippcsci":5atfsb3n said:
kmwilson042182":5atfsb3n said:
I just have flagstone rocks that I bought at Home Depot in the garden section. Good soak with f10 solution and bake in the oven for awhile to sterilize

What is f10 solution? Or do you have any instructions on baking? His basking light is in the low side of the tank and his hammock is higher in the cool side. Not sure if that’s right. Can you all post some pics of your setup so I can compare?

Also, is there a way to add you all as friends on here to stay in touch or ask questions later. This as been amazing help.

F10®SC Veterinary Disinfectant is the stuff you buy , this is used in very dilution as a spray to sterilize surfaces very effectively : http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-environmental-products.html
Recommended dilution rates of F10®SC

The high dilution rates mean that F10 is one of the most cost-effective disinfectant ranges on the market.
•General disinfection at 1:500 (2ml in 1 litre)
•High level disinfection against bacteria, fungi and most viruses at 1:250 (4ml to 1 litre)
•For use against the most resistant viruses such as Parvovirus or Circovirus (PBFD) at 1:100 (10ml in 1 litre)
A 200ml bottle of F10sc goes a very long way, I've used up 4 bottles over 10 years.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
My setups are both bare bones right now cause I go bare min with the baby and my big guy is being treated for
parasites right now...... I have custom 4’x2’x2’ melamine enclosures and currently they just have there branches and rocks in them. I’m working on custom rock backgrounds for both though for when Murdock gets cleared and Booger gets a little bigger.
103523-3805105221.jpg
103523-49297307.jpg
103523-8279060386.jpg
103523-7759531978.jpg
103523-5226931740.jpg

Kyle

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
btrippcsci":286nrznm said:
kingofnobbys":286nrznm said:
The IRT207 is not that flash ; spot size ratio 8:1 , means a very large measuring spot cf better units, ie my gun has a spot size ratio of 18:1 as well a other good features such
>> adjustable emissivity
>> statistical calculation mode (min, max, mean, medium, standard variation, and a few others)

Better than nothing.
Unfortunately most cheaper consumer ir guns are preset give correct temperatures only for surfaces with an emissivity of 0.95 , and building bricks have a very much lower emissivity ( e = 0.45 ) so if the bricks are your basking spot , you will not get an accurate temperature reading from your gun , see this for more information : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=239064&p=1833542#p1833542
and this explain more : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=239064&p=1833542#p1833542
It is possible to compensate for emissivity errors but the calculations involved will be beyond most reptile keepers who don't have the necessary physics or engineering education , the existing IR gun is likely 20 to 30 degrees Celsius out when reading the surface temperature the bricks.

For those who have some university physics and engineering the brief explanation is as follows :
the degree to which errors in emissivity settings will affect temperature and T_error (error in temperature) accuracy even not often understood by many professional physicists , engineers , chemists and thermographers . The Stefan-Boltzmann Law gives the radiated infrared energy emitted by a target surface and shows this is exponentially related to the absolute temperature of that surface.
The equation is E_b=εσT^4 where ε is the surface emissivity and the true surface temperature is calculated using this equation
temperature-emissivity-compensation.png

The dual thermometer / hydrometer dial analog unit is rubbish - I'd return it to the shop and exchange for something like this : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-HYGROMETER-HUMIDITY-METER-TESTER-REPTILE-TEMPERATURE-THERMOMETER/320943327225?hash=item4ab9b687f9:g
I've used one of these for years , and checked , quite accurate wrt temperature and %RH .

Just for air and surface temperatures, these are great and very accurate (I've checked under laboratory conditions) : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3x-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Outdoor-Reptile-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Meter/310938466818?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20171012094517%26meid%3Db55b89760ae34ae8b598cdb701a364c2%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D320943327225%26itm%3D310938466818&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Hey,

Great information. I am no physicist. However, I do have a computer science degree and love the details.

What brick or rock do you recon for dragons to bask on?
What temp gun do you recommend?

The first link you posted I found some similar looking thermometers (black rectangle ones) and it had mixed reviews on Amazon so did just about every one of them. There was a 50 dollar one that I was going to get that would allow me to check from my phone as well as log the changes in temp and humidity. But probably don’t need that.

The e value of common red brick is .93 actually. So you're good with your temp measurement.
The reason most are set to around .9 is because most common material falls close to an e value of .9. Including woods and rocks like you'd se in your tank.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
btrippcsci":2loehb98 said:
kingofnobbys":2loehb98 said:
The IRT207 is not that flash ; spot size ratio 8:1 , means a very large measuring spot cf better units, ie my gun has a spot size ratio of 18:1 as well a other good features such
>> adjustable emissivity
>> statistical calculation mode (min, max, mean, medium, standard variation, and a few others)

Better than nothing.
Unfortunately most cheaper consumer ir guns are preset give correct temperatures only for surfaces with an emissivity of 0.95 , and building bricks have a very much lower emissivity ( e = 0.45 ) so if the bricks are your basking spot , you will not get an accurate temperature reading from your gun , see this for more information : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=239064&p=1833542#p1833542
and this explain more : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=239064&p=1833542#p1833542
It is possible to compensate for emissivity errors but the calculations involved will be beyond most reptile keepers who don't have the necessary physics or engineering education , the existing IR gun is likely 20 to 30 degrees Celsius out when reading the surface temperature the bricks.

For those who have some university physics and engineering the brief explanation is as follows :
the degree to which errors in emissivity settings will affect temperature and T_error (error in temperature) accuracy even not often understood by many professional physicists , engineers , chemists and thermographers . The Stefan-Boltzmann Law gives the radiated infrared energy emitted by a target surface and shows this is exponentially related to the absolute temperature of that surface.
The equation is E_b=εσT^4 where ε is the surface emissivity and the true surface temperature is calculated using this equation
temperature-emissivity-compensation.png

The dual thermometer / hydrometer dial analog unit is rubbish - I'd return it to the shop and exchange for something like this : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-HYGROMETER-HUMIDITY-METER-TESTER-REPTILE-TEMPERATURE-THERMOMETER/320943327225?hash=item4ab9b687f9:g
I've used one of these for years , and checked , quite accurate wrt temperature and %RH .

Just for air and surface temperatures, these are great and very accurate (I've checked under laboratory conditions) : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3x-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Outdoor-Reptile-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Meter/310938466818?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20171012094517%26meid%3Db55b89760ae34ae8b598cdb701a364c2%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D320943327225%26itm%3D310938466818&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

Hey,

Great information. I am no physicist. However, I do have a computer science degree and love the details.

What brick or rock do you recon for dragons to bask on? what ever you can source that has good high thermal mass ( soaks up heat and releases it slowly ).
\
Just be aware there may be complications wrt emissivity if you don't compensate or set up a contact thermometer probe fixed to the surface.

What temp gun do you recommend?

So many to choose from .
Aim for a spot size ratio of AT LEAST 12:1 , 18:1 is very good for terraria.
Aim for unit that uses 9v batteries
Aim for a unit with emissivity adjustment
nice to have some builtin statistics calcs.

Good place to look is Ebay.

I'm considering upgrading to a thermographic camera soon.

The first link you posted I found some similar looking thermometers (black rectangle ones) and it had mixed reviews on Amazon so did just about every one of them.
<<< I never give reviews on sites like Amazon any credence , they are usually fake.

There was a 50 dollar one that I was going to get that would allow me to check from my phone as well as log the changes in temp and humidity. But probably don’t need that.

btrippcsci

Original Poster
kmwilson042182":238v0qkv said:
How’s your little one doing? Is he eating better yet?

Kyle

He is eating a lot better! He still is not eating 10 at a seating. But I think on average he eats 5 or 6 decent sized roaches in the morning, a couple during the day, and then another 5 or so at night. In general, I think he is slowly and slowly getting more comfortable. I ordered some phoenix worms that are on the way so I will see if he eats those better. I dont think he ever touches his greens though lol

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
Awesome. Sounds like he is starting to settle in. Glad to hear it. My little guy doesn't really like greens that much either, but sometimes he will eat them out of our hand and every once in awhile he will sneak some when nobody is looking.

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom