Fed Popcorn calci-worms, now hates crickets :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquilist

Hello!
My 2-3 months old beardie (8 inches) suddenly stopped eating crickets!
I've had Popcorn for almost 2 weeks, so I don't know him very well yet, however, when I first got him he ate crickets like a champ for the first 2 days, stopped for another 2 days (due to relocation stress) than ate crickets up until Friday. What was different on Friday? I tried feeding him calci-worms.
And he LOVES them.
He has absolutely no problem downing a bunch of calci-worms, but now when I put a dish on crickets in his tank, he's uninterested. He barely even looks at them.
I've read that calci-worms aren't a valid staple, as they don't contain enough nutrients and you can't gut-load them.
So, how can I get him back interested in crickets?
Thanks!

Also, unrelated but I gave him his first bath a day ago, he was so happy! He's currently shedding for what seems like the fiftieth time, and he thoroughly enjoyed being able to loosen some skin.
He would roll around in the water, and scratch himself like a dog, before jumping out and rubbing himself about the fake grass to get the skin off. I'll give him another bath tonight, seeing as how much he loved it!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
So give him the BSFL if that's what he loves.

I have a similarly aged pair of hatchlings I'm rearing now

Caesar goes bananas for crickets and silkworms and loves his salad greens. He hates BSFL.

Cleo loves her BSFL , and tolerates crickets if I handfeed them to her (she's too lazy to chase them) , and she'll eat a silkworm if I handfed it to her. Not seen her eat salad yet.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
If you're worried about cost, look at symtonbsf online. They have excellent prices and you can buy larger quantities than the calciworms or Phoenix worms, which are all the same bug. :0)

Aquilist

Original Poster
So, the calci-worms are an alright staple?
The costs will be fine, I can get 250 of them for 10 bucks, but 250 small crickets cost $15. So, guess it's actually cheaper for now!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Calciworms (bsfl) are a great staple. You dont need to dust them with calcium either.

The difference in cost comes from the fact that usually a dragon will eat significantly more bsfl than they would crickets. So 250 bsfl dont really go as far as 250 crickets. :)

But if their price isnt an issue and your dragon likes them, they are a great feeder!

-Brandon

Aquilist

Original Poster
claudiusx":3ndfmfq9 said:
Calciworms (bsfl) are a great staple. You dont need to dust them with calcium either.

The difference in cost comes from the fact that usually a dragon will eat significantly more bsfl than they would crickets. So 250 bsfl dont really go as far as 250 crickets. :)

But if their price isnt an issue and your dragon likes them, they are a great feeder!

-Brandon
Thats wondeful!

Cor

JumpinJellyfish":2zfwu7ji said:
If you're worried about cost, look at symtonbsf online. They have excellent prices and you can buy larger quantities than the calciworms or Phoenix worms, which are all the same bug. :0)
I feel like an a hole now for ordering from rainbow worms, 5 dollars for 100 but 8 dollars shipping!I guess I'm not that far off.

Aquilist

Original Poster
Cor":3g9rkex0 said:
JumpinJellyfish":3g9rkex0 said:
I feel like an a hole now for ordering from rainbow worms, 5 dollars for 100 but 8 dollars shipping!I guess I'm not that far off.
Yeah, with the claci-worms, it's $10 for 150, but $11 shipping! Guess I'll bulk-buy to make the whipping worth-it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've been buying about 100g of large BSFL every month or so for Cleo and Caesar (Cleo is the BSFL junkie) and 500x 1/4 to 1/3 size crickets every 2 or 3 weeks ( Caesar and Fluffy live their crickets ).
I grow my own silkworms (hatch my own eggs).

Way Cleo and Caesar are growing I'll soon be needing to bump up my BSFL order to 100g every two weeks and move to 1000x 1/3 to 2/3 size crickets every few weeks.
Cleo polished off 16 large white BSFL + 2x 1/3 sized crickets for her meal#1 today.
(Around 300 BSLF per week)
Caesar demolished 14 x 1/3 sized crickets for his meal#1 today.
(Around 300 x med crickets per week)

Orders are from Frog Arcade (Victoria) or Livefoods Unlimited (SE QLD) or Biosupplies (Sydney).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom