New here recently got a rescued dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi2019

Hi. My wife is a vet tech and one of the vets she works with saved a little dragon from a pet shop where it was malnourished and had calcium deficiency. She got him back on track and gave him to us. We both have always loved bearded dragons but have never owned one.
So my question is on the current diet we have him on. He is around 13" long and we are guessing 6-8 months old. Very healthy, active, not over weight, growing like crazy. Sheds about every 1-2 weeks, though it seems constant cause he sheds his body one day, then his tail another, then his legs. Goes to the bathroom on schedule 1-2 times a day. So seems like a pretty good diet so far. Feeding twice a day with fresh water. Large BSFL, 2" horn worms, mix of 75% collard greens 25% Kale. I'll give him 20-25 BSFL and 3 horn worms per feeding for a couple days, then 30-35 BSFL and 1-2 horn worms for a couple days. We also change it up and give him some crickets sometimes or wax worms occasionally. Tried very small amounts of fruit "blueberry, grape, tomato. He's not really into those yet, he'll eat a little bit of the blueberry. Thanks for any feedback or info.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum-- Diet sounds good -- you might want to offer him some mustard / collard greens some squash butternut yellow or zucchini -- --- what size tank and lighting do you have for him ---- I know your wife is a vet tech but I still need to ask ---
Karrie

Yoshi2019

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the info. He will be getting a wider variety of greens and vegetables as we figure out what he likes and doesn't like. He does like the cooked butternut squash. Right now it's just the 40gal with a screen lid that he came in. Light is a 100w mercury vapor evergreen sun glow with hood and adjustable stand. Also a CHE, but it hasn't been needed here in FL. Peak 100°basking temp 83° cool side with angled branches so he can be where he needs. Currently putting together a Carolina Custom 4x2x2 for him with T5/halogen/CHE. I'll be posting questions about it I'm sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure what the mercury glow is - is that a UVB or basking light--- or combo?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would recommend getting the Reptisun 10 T5 or a T8 UVB-- these bulbs come highly recommended in the forum-- it's easier to adjust your basking temp w/ a separate basking bulb and the Reptison is a very good bulb along w/ the Arcadia 13 or 14% bulb--- the T 5 will take a flat fixture whereas the T 8 takes a regular fixture- the Arcadia also takes the flat fixture as well-- the T8 will need to be changed out 2 times per yr-- the Arcadia and T 5 once per year--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom