Beardie flower garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikari

It's finally safe to start planting in Ohio without worrying about snow freezing my poor seedlings, so it's once again time to get started with planting! Since I have a bearded dragon now, I thought it would be fun to grow things she can eat!

Funny enough, it seems the things I already have planned appear to be edible. Problem is, I don't know what parts are edible...

I have Marigolds planned again this year, and I know the petals are edible (and this type gets HUGE flower heads), but not sure on the leaves. Far as I know, the leaves aren't tasty since nothing ever tries to eat them (unlike my green beans from last year x.x)

I also have Balsam that I'll be planting again for the first time in a long while. I've read it's an Asian variety of Impatiens (aka, Touch-Me-Not). Are just the flowers safe? Or can I feed the leave too? I haven't been able to find out. This variety has the exploding seed pods, so it probably wouldn't be wise to feed those even if they were safe (as amusing as that might be). We also have local varieties of these plants, with orange flowers, but they don't look as pretty (though definitely just as fun in the seed pod department).

The Dandelions that have sprung up alongside the Daffodils and Tulips are being allowed to stay now, due to being beardie chow, and she has been enjoying them immensely, though I've only been able to feed the leaves since the flowers are always full of ants right now :/

I also have Spearmint regrowing in the herb bed (I finally got some to overwinter without dying!), so I miiiight be willing to share it, if I don't use it all for tea :p

Anyone else have any suggestions for flowers that their beardies have taken a particular liking to? I'm always up for excuses to plant more things. XD

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tried many kinds of flowers, so am of limited help on this one. My dragon does love dandelions (flower and leaves). He will also readily chomp on mint in the garden. They can eat hibiscus flowers too, although I don't know if that will grow outside in Ohio. I'm holding off on planting my garden due to a freeze over the weekend but I usually put staple greens in there. Collards and Kale have done really well. My mint garden thrives no matter what too.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just planted this week too. No flowers unfortunately so no help there. But I did plant some staple greens and bell peppers.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom