My guy won’t eat! Super worm addiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threeloudkids

A few months back my pet store was out of crickets and I got superworms to supplement. Fast forward he refuses to eat literally anything other than super worms (and the occasional meal worm). I read that they are not good for beardies so we switched to dubias, which collectively he’s eaten maybe 10 roaches. But at least at this point he was eating some greens.

It’s now probably a month or more without and superworms or meal worms. He eats a few bites of greens every so often, and maybe a roach every few days. Since then I’ve noticed he’s significantly less active and spends most of his day sleeping or hiding where as while he was on the superworms he would sit on his rocks and move around.

My question is, what do I do? Should I keep offering roaches? Or go back to worms of some type?

Also, we’ve tried crickets but he has zero interest. He’s 10 months old.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What is your latitude ?

If it's moving into the colder months ( southern hemisphere ) , he may be slowing down his metabolism , though if he's only 10 months old, I'd be reluctant to allow him to brumate in his first winter.

Have you tried hand feeding him ?

Have you tried him on silkworms ?
…….. most bearded dragons find them irresistible.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes what is the weather like where you live--- ? If its going into winter then he is going into a semi brumation where hes metabolism is slowing down --- if your in the states that is a different issue--- have heard they can brumate at all different times but in order to clearly rule that out it could be numerous things
Karrie

Threeloudkids

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2s1w1ndo said:
Yes what is the weather like where you live--- ? If its going into winter then he is going into a semi brumation where hes metabolism is slowing down --- if your in the states that is a different issue--- have heard they can brumate at all different times but in order to clearly rule that out it could be numerous things
Karrie

I live in Texas and it’s pretty warm outside.

Since he refuses to eat anything else will supers be ok for now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of his tank and lighting --- could be a lighting issue--- he should be eating 20 crickets at a feeding or 6-8 dubias at a feeding ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom