My Beardie will only eat crickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! My BD baby is extremely picky, and will ONLY eat crickets as a protein source... he used to LOVE dubia's, but won't touch them anymore, and recently I've tried feeding him Phoenix worms, and he just closes his eyes at them! I've also tried to get him to eat a horned worm, also nothing. How can I get this little guy to try other bugs?! He also used to eat smaller super worms but I was told that unless he's over 16" long not to give them to him.... I'd really like him to eat something more than just crickets, can anyone help? I don't know what to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can try BSFL they are high in calcium dont need to be dusted like the crickets-- maybe try some butter worms for a treat they are fattening -- super meal worms should only be given as a treat --- dragons are strange some like crickets and not the dubias some like dubias and not the crickets-- odd he wont touch horn worms either --- how old is he and how many crickets is he eating? Lighting in tank plays a huge role in behavior and overall health
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Butterworms aren't fattening anymore than any other good feeder option. Butterworms actually have less fat % than dubia roaches have. It's a common misconception probably due to their name. But butterworms are a great staple feeder choice. They are just expensive.

Sometimes they just get picky but I do agree with karrie, make sure your lighting and temps are up to par with what's suggested around here. They play a massive role in appetite.

If I had to guess though I'd just say he likes more stimulating prey. Such as crickets he gets to hunt.

-Brandon

advannoy13

Original Poster
If I had to say I would estimate he's around 6 months old, possibly 7, I'm really not sure... he eats about 7 to 10 medium sized crickets a day, and is definitely getting better at eating more greens. He is gaining about a gram a week though and since I've gotten him he's gained 90 grams and over 5".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom