Feeding/Watering Help - Underweight Rescue Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzypmcc

Hi All! I'll start with my question and follow it with some background: Any suggestions for getting my beardie to eat without me having to hand feed him? Also, should I be doing more to get him to prefer veggies or am I overthinking it?

This is my first beardie... I never intended to get a lizard but George was found discarded in the trash and I couldn't leave him there!! George is great, but very special. He was clearly NOT cared for at all, being a trash lizard and all. He has fused front legs and an underdeveloped jaw line from a calcium deficiency, had a badly healed fracture on his tail, and is underweight. According to the vet, he is healthy otherwise and just needs to gain weight. (X-rays confirmed good bone density in spite of his issues).

He has about 100 grams to gain to be at his correct weight, which means making sure he is eating is a high priority. We don't know how old he is, so I offer both insects and greens/veggies every day. I am having an issue with getting him to eat independently, though. He will not eat either if they are simply left for him, he will only eat if I hand feed him (ie, shake the veggies in front of him or place an individual insect in front of him with tongs). He also never consumes much in terms of veggies, only about a tablespoon or two if I had to measure, preferring insects.

He does the same thing with drinking, only drinking if I actively pour the water into his dish while it's placed directly in front of him. He will actively eat/drink when I take those steps, but I am afraid that he isn't getting enough that way since I have a full time job and only time to do this once a day during the week, two-three times on weekends.

A few notes:
- He still has good mobility so getting to the food dishes is not the problem
- Insects offered: A mix of dubia roaches, silk worms, and either butter worms/wax worms
- Veggies Offered: A mix of turnip greens, endive, mustard greens with a rotating topping of prickly pear, squash, papaya, and a few other veggies

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wow -- someone threw him away---pathetic-- well good thing you came along then--- it sounds like you got him on a good diet - others here can maybe recommend some other things to get the weight on-- so now w/ his tank and his lighting that is going to play a huge part in his gaining weight etc.......... can you please post pics of tank and lighting and we can go from there
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's been neglected it would be best to start off slow on the feedings. You don't want to over tax his system when it's in such a weak state.

You can try dripping water on his mouth and letting him lick it up. Soaking in a bath would help too. Sometimes they will drink when they feel themselves in the water.

Great that you're offering the salad. Keep at it daily even if he doesn't seem interested.

Butterworms, dubias, and silks are great feeders and will do wonders for him! I would drop the waxworms though. I know they pack more fat, but the goal here isn't to pack on weight, it is to get the dragon back healthy. And those first three feeders are great options for that.

Once we see your setup we can make other suggestions that might help you and the poor guy out.

-Brandon

lizzypmcc

Original Poster
Sure! He has a pretty tall tank, so one of the issues we had in the beginning was that we couldn't get the temp high enough (Temps are slightly lower in the pic because I took the photo at 6AM right after the lights were turned on). We got a stronger bulb and added a higher rock which got him closer to the bulb so that has helped. He struggles to get up on top of it, though, so it's not a permanent solution, we are looking for something that maybe has a ramp he can easily climb.

103896-771508352.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB is it a coil--- if it is you need to replace it w/ one of these --- here is the info
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
I would look into getting a Infrared heat gun as they are most accurate for getting basking temps-- you can get them at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10--- you can look at Petsmart for a decoration climbing platform for him -- I have seen them there - I think they are calling them basking platforms-- the UVB is going to help w/ his mobility issues
Karrie

lizzypmcc

Original Poster
I have read about the Reptisun 10.0, I will definitely upgrade his UVB to that ASAP! I have found a few videos about mounting it inside, so I will take that route since his tank is so tall. Interesting to know that the lighting could play such a factor in his appetite, I didn't know that before. Would that mean it plays a role in his level of activity? He is pretty chill- I just kind of thought that was his nature, but now I'm wondering if it's because he's not getting the proper UVB...

Poor dude had a rough start in life, I just want to make sure he's happy and healthy from here on out.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lighting and temperature play a massive role in basically every single part of a dragon. They are very important :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just make sure you look for the 10.0 not the 5.0-- I just am changing mine out today as I have the 5.0 in my fixture come to find out it is not strong enough and made for tropical animals not the desert like the dragons- so since I have the Arcadia bulb that I purchased at the same time as the light fixture and 5.0 bulb I am switching those bulbs out today -- I am guessing they come standard w/ the light fixture and didnt really realize the 5.0 was not strong enough --- just a heads up--- its been in my tank for 4 months and Hiccup is now not eating or pooping and hasnt been for awhile so I am thinking this is the issue since his basking temps are good---- he has not lost any weight but gained an ounce but its the fact hes not eating or pooping-- he finally went yesterday as I fed him some baby prunes and that worked--- :D
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom