Winged locusts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Hi all, Dobby is around 10 months old and weighed 500g at last weigh in , she’s 18” long nose tip to tail, she’s well and truly got her appetite back but seems to prefer larger prey. When would it be ok for her to have winged locusts. I’ve had a batch where a few have grown into adults. Up until now we’ve just been giving the winged ones to a reptile rescue centre but would be better if Dobby could have them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Rule of thumb no bigger that the space between their eyes I am told
Karrie

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes. They sent very fat just longer it’s the wings I’m worried about sticking in her throat but she chews everything anyway

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Male dubias have wings similar to the locusts and adults have no trouble gobbling those guys down! Although they may be slightly softer, can't recall ever feeling locust wings before :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well if you've ever seen a male dubia you'll understand how long their wings are too! I would say you're fine if your dragon is large enough.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you get a pic side by side for size comparison. They look larger than what I remember locusts looking like.

-Brandon

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry a bit dopey sometimes do you mean 2 locustsside by side or locust and Dobby ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DiXX":3ne4a3wt said:
Sorry a bit dopey sometimes do you mean 2 locustsside by side or locust and Dobby ?
Locust and dobby. So I cn see how big they are in relation to him :p

-Brandon

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I got my answer. I held up a winged locust to get a picture and she snatched it out of my hand ?. No problem eating it. The picture is best I could do ?
100805-9274261444.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welp that's one way to solve it haha. Even with the locust being closer to the camera, they look to be an acceptable size.

Although them being that size, I'd use more as a treat than a staple.

PS: Dobby told me to suggest the picture so she could just cut the wait and eat her snack!

-Brandon

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes. I will only feed them to her if they grow that size. Her staple diet is medium/large locust. Occasionally crickets as I don’t like the noise they make and they look creepy. Ha ha. She has had dubia roach but I got large 25-35 mm which I thought too big and smaller which she wasn’t interested in. So will get them occasionally too. She refuses to eat veg tried all sorts but sometimes when her mouth is open I put a little in ha ha. Thank You for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom