Calcium powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikmad39

Hi-
I’m a week old new mom. So I have been giving my 2 month old calcium with D3 daily and a mutlivitamin 3 times a week. I just read they shouldn’t have calcium with D3 everyday. That they should have calcium without D3 daily.
Can someone please help me. What is the right thing to do here?
Thanks!
Erin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It has a lot to do with the UVB light you're using. If you have a high power UVB source like a T5 tube or good MVB set at an appropriate distance, then they should be able to synthesize D3 on their own so you should use plain calcium on every bug meal (light, even coat). If you have a T8 or other low power UVB source, then D3 supplement is good to offer. I'd still stick with a relatively low supplement like Repashy Calcium LoD at every bug meal (substitute a multivitamin once or twice a week if you wish).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum--- where did you get your little baby from? Can you please post pics of the tank and lighting and your little one?
Karrie

nikmad39

Original Poster
I got him from petco. And from what I’m finding she didn’t give me any correct info. It’s very fraustrating. Right now I have a CHE in the small dome. A basking light and a cool CFL in the double dome. After much help from here and research I ordered a t5 10.0 HO last night. Hope it comes soon

103853-8320475500.jpg
103853-9370178384.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Beautiful tank--- yes Petco tends to give bad advice--- the T 5 is a good bulb--- your gonna want to mount that inside the tank if your screen mesh is fine-- the fine mesh tends to block out alot of your UVB rays-- you want it around 10-11 inches from him-- also when you go to replace that bulb you can upgrade to a Arcadia 10.0 bulb -- it will fit right into that fixture your getting- you won't need to change it out till a year from when you get it tho-- I would be investing in a infrared heat gun from Walmart home Depot or Lowe's for around $10-- they give the most accurate temps--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
nikmad39":ebx9uy20 said:
Hi! Thank you! Yes I’ve heard that too. So now I’m confused. The T5 10.0 HO goes inside??
No it won't go inside in your tank like we talked about on your other thread.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Guess I missed the other thread-- is your screen wide hole?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not needed as much with the HO bulbs. However I still like to give it once or twice a week instead of the plain calcium. The amount of D3 in the supplement isn't enough to cause vitamin D toxicity in a healthy dragon even if thats all you used. But it's also not necessary so if you have the choice, regular calcium usually, and calc w/D3 once or twice a week IMO.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":6cpiwpxq said:
Guess I missed the other thread-- is your screen wide hole?
Karrie
Well you can see from the pics she posted in this thread if she mounted the t5 in the tank it would be like 4 inches away from the basking surface. It's not a tall enough tank to mount inside.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I see I am terrible w/ depth and measurements I would had to to see in person and being that short of a tank I can see why on top
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom