dragon food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star69

i have an idea. no matter where i look i can not find a blend of greens (like salad mix) that is just for our beloved lizards. yes they have ones that are dried out and you have to re wet them but is that really healthy for our dragons. i want to start a company that makes this kind of FRESH food for our pets i would like to know if any of you think it is a good idea or am i just thinking funky things again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's a nice idea but there would not be enough of a market unless it was sold in grocery stores along with the other premixed bags of salad. Of course with a name like " dragon salad " it could become a great selling item simply for the novelty. :)

Many salad mixes have e few good things in them for your dragon. Then if you just alternate buying one small batch of a staple per week [ like collards one week, turnip greens the next, kale , etc ] then you could have those on hand to add to your your dragon's salad mix.

Star69

Original Poster
why do you think there would not be a big enough market for it i would not just be for bearded dragons it would be for all the plant eaters like iguanas, turtles, and little foot. and what do you think about lizard lettuce? :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to start small and try selling at a local farmers market. Several small businesses around my town started by running a stand at the market on weekends and built a following. Probably much more feasible to start that way rather than trying to get on the shelves of a grocery store which can be incredibly difficult and require very high volume commitments.

Star69

Original Poster
this i had planed to so i was just asking the dragon/lizard community at large what they thought of the idea before proceeding to marketing small or large or small to large i was trying to see if there was a market for it i just know that i am annoyed at the waste that i create when having to buy large amounts of greens that my 1 dragon will never eat all of and i thought that if ether i created a brand or contacted one of the preexisting salad makers to pitch this idea to make life a little easier and reduce waste of food for our little scaly friends

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Once I found a bag that contained mustard greens, dandelion greens, and collard greens. I was ecstatic. Sadly I feel that the bagged stuff goes bad before the fresh stuff. At least in my experience. I've kept fresh mustard greens for almost three weeks, whereas the bagged things went bad in about a week. I'm thinking too much moisture gets in the bag for some reason. Maybe not properly sealed in the first place? But I'd totally buy locally grown bagged greens for my beardie if there were such a thing here in Sacramento, CA.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I always buy fresh every week it seems but the greens here are only $1 / bunch --- thats for collard mustard and turnip so usually Hiccups salads contain one of the two out of the 3 I mentioned plus the fruit and sweet potato in his dish and rotating squash zuke or yellow--
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
If they are cheap where you are, you should get a mix of fresh veg that are good for dragons and try making salads out of them. If you come up with a combination that is tasty enough to make a salad for people, then you'd be onto something. You could call it "Dragon Mix", which sounds cool but is generally meaningless (like most marketing slogans). Sell it as people food so there's a viable market, but those in the know would be able to pick it up for their scaly friends.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I wont lie guys, I eat Tamp's food all the time. Hahaha She cannot possible eat a huge bundle of mustards all on her own. Hahaha And by the way, I'm totally jealous of Karrie. Only $1 for a bundle! It's $3 here in Sacramento!

Star69

Original Poster
thank you all for your comments i will move ahead with this adventure and see what i can come up with i like the idea of making it for both human and lizard alike if any one has more suggestions i will be happy to hear them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom