Switching to another staple for a baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got my baby (a month and a half-ish) and the shop that I got him from was feeding him x-small meal worms. Now I know that this is a no go so I have been switching him to crickets. The first day (Monday) he ate about 15 crickets, yesterday he wouldn't eat any, and I'm been trying to experiment today.

I gave him a bath (which he loved). He was interested in eating any crickets, so I dangled a very small meal worm that the shop gave me over his head and he went nuts for the thing. I let him have it because I feel bad that he isn't eating, however, he is not getting any more meal worms because I know the dangers of them. Now I did also give him a black soldier fly larvae yesterday which he gobbled up in a heart beat. I ordered 500 more but they won't be here until Friday.

Are babies normally this picky? Does it just take time for him to switch to a new food? How many days can he go without eating (although he has eaten a little each day)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Depends on the dragon --- if you want a good staple protein food try dubia roaches -- they are better for them and dont give parasites / worms like crickets-- they are a lot easier to keep as well -- they need to be dusted w/ calcium d3 and vitamins like your crickets--- he should be eating as many as he can in 10-15 minutes or so -- dubias about 6-8 they are more filling --- 1 dubia = 6 crickets-- if hes eating that many at a time he may only eat once a day - they say feed them twice a day-- he should be offered greens although he may not eat much being hes a baby and their main diet at this time is bugs-- but offer him mustard collard and turnip greens -- about a year his diet will go to mainly greens w/ bugs maybe once or twice a week - meal worms are a NO NO -- they are too hard on their digestion system -- The black fly larvae are good they are high in calcium and dont need to be dusted-- yes they are all picky you just haft to figure out what they like and dont like --- mine does not like super worms-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom