Tough Love Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smem98

Hi all,

I’ve had my beardie clementine for about 9 months, but she is a rescued adult (5-6 years old). Her previous owners didn’t feed her anything but superworms and the occasional dried veg product. When I got her she refused to eat any fruit or veg, even spit it out if I snuck any in her worm bowl or the side of her mouth. She is very stubborn. About 5 months ago I gave up trying and decided to hand feed her puréed veg every day. Collards, calabasa squash, carrots, hibiscus, calcium and bee pollen. It has been soooo much work, however, and I decided to train her to eat her veg. I haven’t offered her anything but shredded collard greens and a little kale every day. I’ve been making sure she stays hydrated. I’ve offered blueberries and strawberry to entice her to eat ANYTHING but she just doesn’t have any interest. She hasn’t eaten a single bite of anything for 16 days and I’m really worried. Should I give in? She’s getting skinnier and I hate seeing her like this but it just seems so simple to me that if she’s really that hungry she would eat her damn salad! Can someone please tell me whether I should hold off until she eats her greens or just give in and continue her purées.
Thanks

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unfair to the dragon who wont understand why you are not giving it foods it likes.

IMO it's better to ween them off the undesireable foods and incrementally introduce more of the stuff you want them to eat. It's got to be the dragon who decides to eat it. She essentially doesn't recognize them as food or edible, and needs to learn it is, this will take time and patience. Hand feeding is the best option in your situation.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Your best option now (since she is losing weight) is to gut load crickets with the veggies and Feed Her. She is to old for this now, just keep offering greens every day.
Super worms are not a good staple food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom