Getting beardie to eat bsfl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
So I just got some large black soldier fly larvae, I tried them yesterday and she ate a couple. I tried feeding them today and she attempted once didn’t get one in her mouth and then closed her eyes and refused to eat. I had her eating super worms prior to this and found out they aren’t good for them. I even tried feeding her one super worm to get things going and she closed her eyes at me.
I’m not sure how to convince her to eat them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is she eating her greens -- you can always put them in w/ those- maybe shes not hungry? what else are you feeding her?
Karrie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":ugpm8ybw said:
Is she eating her greens -- you can always put them in w/ those- maybe shes not hungry? what else are you feeding her?
Karrie

Prior to being with me she was never introduced greens. She’s two now so for the first year and half of her life she hadn’t had greens. We’re still working on that. She will eat a few pieces of arugula in the morning. She was eating supers and arugula but she’s getting chunky.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well then --- I would say to add mustard greens collard greens maybe some green bean -- some fruit like apple strawberries blueberries mango NO citrus-- to her diet--- you can go to the Feeding board and there is a link to a Nutrition site --- ck that out-- her diet should be 80% vegies (salad) and 20% bugs--- like once a week -- that would help w/ the losing some weight along w/ getting her out and letting her run your LR floor or bedroom - but you would need to watch her -- dont know if you have any other animals in your house -- like cats dogs etc................
Karrie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":uyhooikc said:
Well then --- I would say to add mustard greens collard greens maybe some green bean -- some fruit like apple strawberries blueberries mango NO citrus-- to her diet--- you can go to the Feeding board and there is a link to a Nutrition site --- ck that out-- her diet should be 80% vegies (salad) and 20% bugs--- like once a week -- that would help w/ the losing some weight along w/ getting her out and letting her run your LR floor or bedroom - but you would need to watch her -- dont know if you have any other animals in your house -- like cats dogs etc................
Karrie

I have mustard and turnip greens here for her. She won’t touch them, the only veggie I’ve been successful with has been arugula. She also won’t even touch fruit.
I let her run around my entire apartment. We just moved away from a roommate situation with cats so she has free range of the entire apartment when I’m home.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds good -- well I would keep offering them to her -- cut out the super worms -- they get real picky - we got a older dragon too a few years ago and all they fed her mainly was meal worms - me not knowing any different did the same till she started plugging up and then they got cut out --- I went to feeding her greens and sweet potato --- she got to where she would not eat crickets anymore I think she got to old and didnt want to chase them anymore so stopped w/ those and kept feeding her greens w/ the sweet potato and she would pick the sweet potato off and leave the greens -- certain days she would clean her dish dry but for the most part she loved sweet potato --- Troggy passed away last March at the age of 13-- we think she had a heart attack but not sure ---
Karrie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":33ycrxg9 said:
Sounds good -- well I would keep offering them to her -- cut out the super worms -- they get real picky - we got a older dragon too a few years ago and all they fed her mainly was meal worms - me not knowing any different did the same till she started plugging up and then they got cut out --- I went to feeding her greens and sweet potato --- she got to where she would not eat crickets anymore I think she got to old and didnt want to chase them anymore so stopped w/ those and kept feeding her greens w/ the sweet potato and she would pick the sweet potato off and leave the greens -- certain days she would clean her dish dry but for the most part she loved sweet potato --- Troggy passed away last March at the age of 13-- we think she had a heart attack but not sure ---
Karrie

Yea my beardie was only fed crickets and dried meal worms before I got her. She’s so picky now. I can get her to eat arugula if I hand feed it to her as soon as she gets up lol
I’ll try some sweet potato I didn’t think about that. She might like that. She’s definitely like that, she has days where she will eat her entire bowl of veggies but there’s days where she just closes her eyes at me haha.
I got her to eat one bsfl before I left for an appointment.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Brittneesmile":2tdx17n3 said:
KarrieRee":2tdx17n3 said:
Karrie

Yea my beardie was only fed crickets and dried meal worms before I got her. She’s so picky now. I can get her to eat arugula if I hand feed it to her as soon as she gets up lol
I’ll try some sweet potato I didn’t think about that. She might like that. She’s definitely like that, she has days where she will eat her entire bowl of veggies but there’s days where she just closes her eyes at me haha.
I got her to eat one bsfl before I left for an appointment.

I got my baby off of Craigslist and her old owners took PERFECT care of her. But they kept her on sand. But when they discovered it was bad they tried carpet and tile, which they said she didn't like. So they kept the sand but fed her on the tile.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think you'll be needing to hand feed the BSFL to her , as they are too small a feeder insect to be interesting to her unless she's starving if she's a full grown dragon.

My Peppa wont touch them unless I put them in her mouth, different story with silkworms, superworms and medium & large crickets.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":dkxwchni said:
I think you'll be needing to hand feed the BSFL to her , as they are too small a feeder insect to be interesting to her unless she's starving if she's a full grown dragon.

My Peppa wont touch them unless I put them in her mouth, different story with silkworms, superworms and medium & large crickets.

I ordered the larger ones. She just protested for a bit and is slowly starting to eat more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom