Beardy Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I know a lot of posts talk about switching dragons to mostly veggie diets when they get older but i assume thats not until at least a year or two. Lately Ive noticed that even when my beardy going on 6 months has crix available, she might eat a few then go to eating greens. Should I offer her more greens and less crix already? Or try to get her to eat more insects some how? She used to go through close to 100 1/4" crix per day and was eventually switched to 1/2" and ate around 30-40 per day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You might try switching her over to dubia roaches- but its great that shes eating vegies now- her diet still should be mostly protein if shes 6 months old - the dubias she will eat maybe 5-6 at a time as they are more filling and actually alot better for her
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Land lord will definitely not let me bring roaches into the house. They hardly accept crickets being in the house as it is. Another thing thats concerning me is she's been keeping her head under her basking log while the rest sticks out. I think its a dislike of lights. Shes always trying to hide from lights whether in or out of her tank, she'll burrow into somewhere dark or simply face away from the light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This hiding under stuff all the time does not sound good-- can you please post pics of her tank and lighting? Go to top of page click on User Image uploader - down load pics -- click reply at top of message box click on XIMG -- pics will post
thanks Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
101824-2515836158.jpg
101824-2164287721.jpg
She still spends the better portion of her time basking while shes in her tank. Ive never seen her like that before until today. But outside her tank, shes generally burrowing into something. Im assuming its a dislike for lights or shes trying to keep warm. PS: the temps where she is laying is 100C and increasingly warmer on top of the log. Idk why the drop off in temp is so steep towards the thermometer. Also the top of the tank is generally not kept on.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The issue is the inadequate UV setup.

Too far away.
Trying to shine UVA & UVB though a fine mesh which is blocking over 45% OF THE UV.
Inadequate UV source.
UV source too old (?) , is it over 6 month old ?

At the very least the UV source needs to be relocated so it's mounted UNDER the lid and positioned to give about 200 microW UVB / sqcm at the basking spot.

See this for guidance : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Diet : two feeds of live insect per day , offer salad later in the day AFTER the insects have been eaten, wont fill up on veg and have no room left for the insects this way.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The mesh top is only there at night now. Last sentence of my last message stated it wasnt really kept on anymore. That pic is old, only one i had offhand though. The UVB is probably 2-3 months old.

She is fed crickets some time between noon to 1pm for first feeding and 5pm to 6pm for second feeding. The greens have been left in there 24/7 and replaced each morning.

Its a T5HO with reflector and roughly 12 inches from her most common basking spot and the mesh top is off.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deabrua":1omitl27 said:
The mesh top is only there at night now. Last sentence of my last message stated it wasnt really kept on anymore. That pic is old, only one i had offhand though. The UVB is probably 2-3 months old.

She is fed crickets some time between noon to 1pm for first feeding and 5pm to 6pm for second feeding. The greens have been left in there 24/7 and replaced each morning.

The mesh top/lid is TOTALLY useless : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236332&p=1816614#p1816614

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Its not there to keep heat in, its there to keep her in. I wouldnt be able to take a new pic of her tank for at least 8hrs from now otherwise I would use an updated pic. While the top was still kept on 24/7, her lights sat on the top. The lights were raised and that pic was taken when it was finished, soon after the top was never kept on during the day.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The only thing that changed after moving her UVB/heat was where she basks. She used to climb higher on the long but now tends to stay near the bottom (where it's warmer).

That was a long while back. In the past week is when she's not been eating many crickets (primarily devouring her greens) and shes laying like in the above pic partially under her log.

Update: aside from being under her hide hut for the first time last night, she's acting her usual self today. Found out a lot of the crickets that have been given to her found a place to hide in the tank, so she hasnt been getting to them. Dozens of crickets that i didnt know were still in there.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I took away her 24/7 greens and only leave them in there after her second feeding. Shes back to eating more crickets.

kingofnobbys":3hlmbqbc said:
Deabrua":3hlmbqbc said:

The mesh top/lid is TOTALLY useless : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236332&p=1816614#p1816614

A mesh top/lid is NOT always totally useless. I have to use one because I have 2 cats, 1 of whom had learned how to jump up & turn doorknobs ?. Can't lock em up at night since 1 can open doors (how???) & the mesh lid keeps the kitties off my beardie.

About landlords & dubias...I just didn't tell my landlord lol. They're in a grey Rubbermaid tote (with adequate ventilation) & my landlord has no idea there's anything "sketchy" in it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
reereejugs":ca2myogh said:
kingofnobbys":ca2myogh said:
Deabrua":ca2myogh said:

A mesh top/lid is NOT always totally useless. I have to use one because I have 2 cats, 1 of whom had learned how to jump up & turn doorknobs ?. Can't lock em up at night since 1 can open doors (how???) & the mesh lid keeps the kitties off my beardie.

<<<< a mesh lid is ZERO DETERRENT OR OBSTACLE to a DETERMINED cat.
if you have cats in the house , you MUST keep the cats away from the dragon and it's tank ELSE things will not end well (for the dragon).

There are four options for housing your dragon SAFELY from here forward :

option 1 : convert existing tank to a solid timber hinged lid
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=240221&p=1840683#p1840683

option 2 : convert existing tank by turning tank on it's side and turn the top into the front and add sliding glass (lockable) doors
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=246739

option 3 : move the dragon into a tub with a click clak style lid that has been modified , a 120L tub will be ideal for a juvenile up til it's first birthday ie https://www.bunnings.com.au/all-set-120l-plastic-storage-container_p2583852 , conversion is easy and quick
, and the latches that hold the lid on will make it cat proof ie viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

option 4 : invest in a solid timber front opening tank or build one for the dragon.

About landlords & dubias...I just didn't tell my landlord lol. They're in a grey Rubbermaid tote (with adequate ventilation) & my landlord has no idea there's anything "sketchy" in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom