Out of Staple Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnieam

So I have had my beardy for about 2 months, and we have been feeding him mainly crickets, and either a super worm or a mealworm for a treat. He is almost 9 Inches and has no problem digesting any of his food. Our cricket provider can not get crickets because of the cold, and now we only have meal worms, and super worms that we could feed him... (And some greens) Should I be worried? They won’t have crickets until next week... I was just wondering if Super worms and mealworms provide enough nutrients he needs... Of course I will dip them in calcium first.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Repashi GrubPie , I think all bearded dragon carers should have a bottle of this stashed for emergencies such as you describe.

How old is the dragon ? how heavy ?

Mealworms are far from great as a staple feeder insect , high fat content, poor Ca/P, hard to digest exoskeletons and addictive.
Superworms are not much better. But if this is all you have , then you have no choice until the next batch of crickets is on hand.

You should be fine for few days using the worms.

My advice is if you are buying from a pet shop, you are paying through the nose and will be much better off ordering in bulk (enough to last you 2 - 3 weeks + 30% is a good order size) and having the insects delivered to your home or work.

Have you tried other live insect providers who sell by mailorder online and deliver.

Jonnieam

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":221c4t3z said:
Repashi GrubPie , I think all bearded dragon carers should have a bottle of this stashed for emergencies such as you describe.

How old is the dragon ? how heavy ?

Mealworms are far from great as a staple feeder insect , high fat content, poor Ca/P, hard to digest exoskeletons and addictive.
Superworms are not much better. But if this is all you have , then you have no choice until the next batch of crickets is on hand.

You should be fine for few days using the worms.

My advice is if you are buying from a pet shop, you are paying through the nose and will be much better off ordering in bulk (enough to last you 2 - 3 weeks + 30% is a good order size) and having the insects delivered to your home or work.

Have you tried other live insect providers who sell by mailorder online and deliver.

We got the dragon when he was about 2 Months old, so he should be close to 4. We buy from a small business because we live in a super small town, and to go to a pet store would take us around an hour. Normally we do purchase enough to last us for about two weeks, but over night, about half of the crickets had died. I might try to order some Dubai roaches, we used to have those. But it might take a while for them to arrive...
I will watch closely on how my beardy does with the worms, and I will give him extra greens, if he’s hungry he will eat them.
I do agree that going only about a week without crickets should be fine, but I can’t help but worry.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can order Dubias from Amazon shippers offer free shipping- dubiaroaches.com usually has them to you in 2-3 days but you pay for shipping- they send a tracking # so you know when they will be delivered- mine are usually here a day ahead of schedule and the tracking will tell you when they are out for delivery

Karrie

Jonnieam

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2kmjh8p3 said:
You can order Dubias from Amazon shippers offer free shipping- dubiaroaches.com usually has them to you in 2-3 days but you pay for shipping- they send a tracking # so you know when they will be delivered- mine are usually here a day ahead of schedule and the tracking will tell you when they are out for delivery

Karrie

Thank you! I will have to try that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom