Question on feeding a 4 month old juvenile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first time beardie mom here. Question about what we should be feeding at 4-6 months. Took my little man, Elliot, a 4 month old juvenile, for his first well visit to the reptile vet (excellent rep, 30 yrs experience). We got him from a breeder in CA a month ago and have been feeding him a mix of appropriately sized dubia roaches, crickets and Phoenix worms (20-30 a day, approx 10 given 3x a day) and collard greens, a little carrot and watercress by hand before he gets any insects. When we got him he was 26g. At the vet this week he was 55g.

The vet said we should only be feeding him ~12 dubias every 5 days because the high protein will hurt his liver and kidneys. This seems to disagree with alot of what I've read so we are pretty confused but the vet was adamant. I'd love to hear from other vets on here. At the vet appointment, Elliot was found to have round worms and was given Panacor(sp?). He had 2 loose poops after that but is now pooping normally and eating an increased variety of greens and veg and some Phoenix worms because I didn't want to reduce the protein too fast. Today I weighed him (4 days later) and he was at 44g. A pretty big drop for a little guy so I'm concerned.

Also, we only have repticarpet on the bottom of his viv. The vet suggested placing alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) on one side of the tank as a substrate into which he can burrow which we did yesterday. We watched him closely and he tasted it and clearly didn't like it. Is this ok?

His viv: 30 gallon tank, temps 110-115°F for basking, 80°F cool side, ceramic heat emitter for at night, Reptisun 10.0 florescent UVB, he's got a rock cave, a blanket to snuggle in and a branch to relax on and let his cares drift away.

He's the sweetest little guy who has captured our hearts. Before bedtime he snuggles up on my neck and falls asleep. When he's walking around out of the tank, he's up high on all fours but drops low to the ground to go under a chair that has 2 feet of clearance - my husband says he does not lack confidence in his size! He looks like a deep thinker and at times can get a bit judgy with his looks. And he wins every starting contest!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ElliotBeansMom":2udvsa79 said:
Hi, first time beardie mom here. Question about what we should be feeding at 4-6 months. Took my little man, Elliot, a 4 month old juvenile, for his first well visit to the reptile vet (excellent rep, 30 yrs experience). We got him from a breeder in CA a month ago and have been feeding him a mix of appropriately sized dubia roaches, crickets and Phoenix worms (20-30 a day, approx 10 given 3x a day) and collard greens, a little carrot and watercress by hand before he gets any insects.
Sounds perfectly fine to me .
When we got him he was 26g. At the vet this week he was 55g.
55g for a 4 month old central is quite small : My gang have been 80g to 120g at that age.

The vet said we should only be feeding him ~12 dubias every 5 days because the high protein will hurt his liver and kidneys. This seems to disagree with alot of what I've read so we are pretty confused but the vet was adamant. I'd love to hear from other vets on here. At the vet appointment, Elliot was found to have round worms and was given Panacor(sp?). He had 2 loose poops after that but is now pooping normally and eating an increased variety of greens and veg and some Phoenix worms because I didn't want to reduce the protein too fast. Today I weighed him (4 days later) and he was at 44g. A pretty big drop for a little guy so I'm concerned.

<<< 2 to 3 feeds of live insects per day for now and until he's about 6 - 8 months old , then 2 feeds of insects per day til he's about 12 months old , then 1 feed of insects per day.
As many insects as he wants for now - make sure the roaches are dusted and all gutloaded with high qalilty veg and salad greens.
In a nutshell : rubbish into the insects ==> rubbish insects ==> malnourished young dragon who will not grow properly and will have health issues.
While he is young and on a steep growth curve , he needs protein and calcium (and UVB) more than anything else.
So IMO he's given bad advise wrt diet.

Also, we only have repticarpet on the bottom of his viv. The vet suggested placing alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) on one side of the tank as a substrate into which he can burrow which we did yesterday. We watched him closely and he tasted it and clearly didn't like it. Is this ok?

Rabbit pellets for a dragon's bedding …. no .

His viv: 30 gallon tank, temps 110-115°F for basking,
<<< that's a bit hot , I'd reduce that by 10 °F.
80°F cool side, ceramic heat emitter for at night, Reptisun 10.0 florescent UVB, he's got a rock cave, a blanket to snuggle in and a branch to relax on and let his cares drift away.

He's the sweetest little guy who has captured our hearts. Before bedtime he snuggles up on my neck and falls asleep. When he's walking around out of the tank, he's up high on all fours but drops low to the ground to go under a chair that has 2 feet of clearance - my husband says he does not lack confidence in his size! He looks like a deep thinker and at times can get a bit judgy with his looks. And he wins every starting contest!

ElliotBeansMom

Original Poster
Thank you kingofnobbys! I'm watching the basking temps closely and have ordered a thermostat for the heat lamp. Took out the the alfalfa pellets and will try a different reptile vet next time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom