Phoenix worms (BSFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwilliams

So I've only had my dragon a few days and he doesn't seem to be too fond of crickets. He'll chase a couple around then just loses interest. I was doing some research and I'm thinking about switching to Phoenix Worms, also known as Black Solider Fly Larvae as his main staple. Is there anything I need to know ahead of time? Pros/cons? How many should he eat in a day? Hes about a month old and is about 7-8". Only eating about 7-10 crickets a day right now(refuses to eat more). Thank you for the responses.

Cwilliams":217wku8f said:
So I've only had my dragon a few days and he doesn't seem to be too fond of crickets. He'll chase a couple around then just loses interest. I was doing some research and I'm thinking about switching to Phoenix Worms, also known as Black Solider Fly Larvae as his main staple. Is there anything I need to know ahead of time? Pros/cons? How many should he eat in a day? Hes about a month old and is about 7-8". Only eating about 7-10 crickets a day right now(refuses to eat more). Thank you for the responses.

I'm bumping this for you because I have the same question, but because crickets are hard to find around here and I cant ship them in the cold.

ScottSB52

They are great feeders, but just know that as babies, they can a lot of them.

They are also a bit more expensive than crickets, but I think they are worth the price and more thanks to being so much easier to manage and because they are so nutritious. No calcium powder needed, no need to gut load, etc.. They are also soft-bodied, so you can have a bit more leniency on the space-between-the-eyes rule. I would recommend you only put a few in their bowl at a time because they have a tendency to just swallow them, and then you'll find whole worms undigested in their stool.

I would buy a container and let them try them for a few days. You don't want to buy a massive quantity that goes to waste if your beardie is not interested. My first beardie went absolutely crazy for them her entire life. If I even knocked the container with my hand she would be up against the glass. My current beardie (Tuco) could not care less. He barely acknowledges them when I put them in his bowl.

As for a number...if they're gonna be your staple feeder, I think a normal baby beardie could 30-50 a day, and even more if they're particularly hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom