Eating veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just keep offering a few times a week. If your dragon is an adult of good size cut the live feedings down to twice a week until he starts eating the veg. Collards, turnip greens, kale, mustard greens, endive + squash are all good choices. [ Some people used to think kale was bad but it's actually very healthy for beardies ]

Hi there although I'm new to the forum,I recently rescued one with MBD and he was never taught to eat his greens but I wanted to offer some advice to you that worked for me. When you say vegetables what you really should mean is greens if I'm informed enough they should be eating things like collard mustard and turnip greens as well as like the above poster suggested some kale but too much kale blocks calcium absorption but I could be wrong on that. Other fruits and vegetables should be offered as treats and not a staple. In saying that how I got this bearded dragon who's already a year and never been fed greens is I ripped up little small pieces that were the size of between his two eyeballs and ripped them into like little strips. I would make sure that I pet his head a little and relaxed him and talk to him and then I would put the piece of green in front of his face so he could see it and smell it and then I would slide it slightly into his mouth opening. Right into the crease of his mouth slightly and I did that a few times and eventually he opened up and just started chewing. I gave him no choice and he realized he liked it LOL I'm not saying you're dragon's going to like collard greens but I'm just saying small pieces and slide it a little bit into the mouth which gives them no choice and he'll start to chew. And I'll try different things as we go but again as far as I know, it's mostly greens you want to feed them and vegetables and fruits are treat because I guess they don't process a lot of sugar. If I'm wrong I think a more experienced Beardie owner will chime in but I'm just sharing how I got this bearded dragon to eat his greens. One day I hope he eats out of a dish on his own LOL

Hi there although I'm new to the forum,I recently rescued one with MBD and he was never taught to eat his greens but I wanted to offer some advice to you that worked for me. When you say vegetables what you really should mean is greens if I'm informed enough they should be eating things like collard mustard and turnip greens as well as like the above poster suggested some kale but too much kale blocks calcium absorption but I could be wrong on that. Other fruits and vegetables should be offered as treats and not a staple. In saying that how I got this bearded dragon who's already a year and never been fed greens is I ripped up little small pieces that were the size of between his two eyeballs and ripped them into like little strips. I would make sure that I pet his head a little and relaxed him and talk to him and then I would put the piece of green in front of his face so he could see it and smell it and then I would slide it slightly into his mouth opening. Right into the crease of his mouth slightly and I did that a few times and eventually he opened up and just started chewing. I gave him no choice and he realized he liked it LOL I'm not saying you're dragon's going to like collard greens but I'm just saying small pieces and slide it a little bit into the mouth which gives them no choice and he'll start to chew. And I'll try different things as we go but again as far as I know, it's mostly greens you want to feed them and vegetables and fruits are treat because I guess they don't process a lot of sugar. If I'm wrong I think a more experienced Beardie owner will chime in but I'm just sharing how I got this bearded dragon to eat his greens. One day I hope he eats out of a dish on his own LOL

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Beardiecosmo2019":33w2dnmc said:

WOW! This totally worked!! I shredded some kale, argula and other greens, had some fresh water on them and gently rubbed them by his mouth crease. He totally ate them! Including some purple cabbage :) Thank you to whoever said this tip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom