Just thought I would share how my wife saves money on Marlow

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I just thought I would share how my wife gets the most out of our veges for Marlows and saves on wastage
I’m sure many do the same for their veges :)
With only having one dragon you can sometimes feel like it costs a lot to offer the variety
She this morning cut up $10 worth approx of veges- sweet potato, parsnip , pumpkin peas, green beans, carrot and peppers and then into snap lock bags she made different combinations like : sweet potato, capsicum and peas or one bag will be pumpkin, parsnip and carrot.
We will then have 2months worth of food in the freezer to add ontop of his daily fresh greens. Remember the greens and herbs need to be fresh
That works out to only be $1.25 a week plus $ for the greens
It gives Marlow a good variety and saves us wasting half a pepper and or half a pumpkin or squash before he gets to eat it all.
101427-519669336.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

So do you keep these in the fridge or the freezer? I bought 3 bundles of dandelion greens, cilantro, and parsley and half of them were wilted before I could give them all to our little Goldfish. This is with me putting them in glasses of water too. Goldfish is about 7" long and has started to eat greens and red bell peppers on top of the crickets and worms we give him. :mrgreen:

Makes sense now! I misread that and thought that you had greens in the mix, so thanks for still answering a silly question. :)
I'm chopping up my red bell later and putting that in the fridge. I'll add some of the veggies you mentioned too. Thanks!

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No question is silly if you aren’t sure of the answer :)
The greens I buy one type for the week , here we don’t have mustard greens nor spring greens so I rotate between rocket , Bok Choy and kale and pick one to buy each week as his green for the week
Then ontop of the green I put some from my prepared frozen bags above :)

We name different mixes to freeze and thaw them to room temperature as needed

Currently I have 10bags of sweet potato, parsnip , carrot , green beans preprepared and frozen
Then 10 bags of pumpkin, peas, peppers also precut and frozen
Then 10 bags of sweet potato , peppers, asparagus, pumpkin and green beans

Each bag has enough for 2 days each so that’s 60 days worth there
Then I rotate between the different mixes as I get a new bag out of the freezer :)
If I had to buy it all each week I wouldn’t be able to give him as much variety within one week as I can this way as I’m wasting none

So once every 60days I spend $10 on assortment of vege to make my mixes and preprepare then freeze
This way I only need to buy one staple green per week which is way more manageable

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Also if you have a vege that is only going to be ok for a few more days - cut it and prepare it and then freeze it until you need it for your beardie
Saves chucking out half a pepper in 2 days time that could have been great for your dragon
We got given a pile of green beans so we have cut and prepared them this morning to put in the freezer
101427-1284245588.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For greens I've had good luck cutting the stems and then putting them in a ziploc bag as described above but with a folded paper towel in the bag. I push all of the air out and put it in the fridge. I can get greens to stay fresh for a very long time this way.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
FINALLY butternut squash is in season where I am!!!
I have just prepped and frozen 2 months worth of vege mixes for Marlow and next week I’ll get 3 more butternut squash half’s and make another 3-4 months worth to alternate with the sweet potato and pumpkin based vege mixes I already have frozen - I figure if I do this every January I can freeze enough to alternate in our mixes to last Marlow until it’s in season again next January as squash if prepared right can be frozen for up to 12months

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I just press the grated & chopped veg and greens into large ice cube making trays and freeze .

Take out a cube per big lizard per day and thaw . Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom