Crickets VS Locusts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyro2018

Hi All, Spyro is growing like a champ and eats crickets twice a day with the evening feed supplemented with Dubias which he goes mental for.

I got him some medium Locusts last week which he seemed to really enjoy but they were quite small (12-20mm) the large are 20-35mm and extra large are 35-50mm. I am trying to feed him differently to just crickets as i have read that is good for them and crickets stink (i buy them 1,000 at a time).

Spyro is nearly 5 months old (1 week to go) and is 18" weighing 290g (which i believe is huge).

What size Locusts do you believe he should be eating?
Are locusts as easy to keep (buy in bulk) as crickets?

finally i have a picture of our Spyro below and just want to check the Morph as im not 100% what they mean. He was sold as a Hypo het trans blue bar leatherback. is this correct? what is Tiger and is he one?

101962-1268622163.jpg

Sorry for mixing multiple threads into one.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks big for 5 months. He may be near full length at 18'' but still has some filling in to do in terms of weight. I'd keep up with a variety of bugs for now. I don't have firsthand experience with locusts but I think they're bigger than crickets. At his size he can handle any size bug as long as he is able to chew it down well. I agree with you about crickets and have turned to roaches as a staple and use different worms as supplements as far as bugs go. It gets easier when they reach full size and eat mostly veges. I don't know much about the different morphs but he's definitely a leatherback.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good looking boy ! Spyro is a bit thin and I agree with Cooper that he can eat the large ones. He is def. a leatherback, the het. trans. is not visual [ he carries the gene but is not evident by his appearance ] and looks very much to be a blue bar tiger . Some would call him a rainbow tiger.

Spyro2018

Original Poster
Hi CooperDragon and AHBD.

He is still eating 10-15 dubias and approx 100 large crickets every day so im not sure how we can fill him out. I think he has just grown really fast. When he lays flat he is like a dinner plate lol.

I have ordered some large locusts.

AHBD thanks for the morph confirmation. What does the Hypo mean? just orange color?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hypo is hypomelanistic, lacking in dark pigmentation so they don't have any black on them, even in their nails. When a dragon has all clear nails , with no thin black line in them , you know it's a hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom