Picky Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello:

Does anybody else's beardie become a picky eater at times? Mine has started to only eat her silk worms and hornworms that I give her, but no dubia or mixed greens. I'm just wondering if this will just fade off and she'll go back to her normal eating habits.

Any insight or advice would be great!

Thank you.

Don't worry. Females are known to be more picky than males in bearded dragons. I wouldn't worry, but watch her. If she does not eat her salad, try putting worms or crickets into/onto the salad. They will see the movement and might try to eat it, which is when they might accidently get some lettuce in their mouth. Also, you can try to take a bug and "rub" it on a lettuce leaf to make it smell like a bug. Then you can move it with your fingers to make it look "tasty and moving"

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
lizardgirlforever":147eaw0s said:
Don't worry. Females are known to be more picky than males in bearded dragons. I wouldn't worry, but watch her. If she does not eat her salad, try putting worms or crickets into/onto the salad. They will see the movement and might try to eat it, which is when they might accidently get some lettuce in their mouth. Also, you can try to take a bug and "rub" it on a lettuce leaf to make it smell like a bug. Then you can move it with your fingers to make it look "tasty and moving"

Thank you. She never had issues eating her greens before, but now she wants nothing to do with them. Little stinker. I'll try the buggies on the salad tomorrow and see what she does.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Also, she's not really into her dubia either. Wants nothing to do with them. She stares at them like she's going to eat them, but just won't do a thing.

My girl butter is very picky too. She eats her worms, crickets, and dubias but the only veggies/fruits I’ve been able to get her to eat are greens and carrots. And even then she doesn’t eat very much of them. I leave piles of fresh cucumber, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, greens, etc. but she just turns her head. But recently she hasn’t been eating as much insects either, I believe it’s the time of year.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
This is my first beardie and I am guessing it is that time of year for her to not eat as much. Does your beardie go into brumation at all? I'm thinking she might be doing doing a bit of that as well. She's not basking as much and stays in the cool part of the tank most of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom