Beardie scared of Insects??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have acquired a 2-3 week old dragon from petco about a 3 weeks ago. He refuses any bugs at all cost and will run from any (even on tweezers) so ive offered the smallest of crickets, newborn dubias, and micro mealworms for the heck Inappropriate word changed by Moderator of it and still Running Today I offered a newborn dubia and he acted interested for a second, then ran off! He’s been on a diet of reptaboost and baby food. Basking just fine, pooping regularly and has no problem eating from a syringe. I know he cant live off of this so im at a lost for ideas. Any suggestions definitely definitely welcome!!

BigSkyMom

Congratulations on your new baby dragon! Can you let me know what salad you are offering every day? The pet stores usually include dead meal worms with their salad so he may not be familiar
with live insects. There are several insect replacement options you can sprinkle on the salad (I use Flukers). Also, you can put roaches or worms in a feeder bowl (that they cannot escape from) and maybe your dragon will be brave enough to eat them when you are not looking.
I would be interested to know what you are feed him from a syringe? Anyway, make sure he is drinking water.

Dragonmamiof4

Original Poster
BigSkyMom":2b8rewjc said:
Congratulations on your new baby dragon! Can you let me know what salad you are offering every day? The pet stores usually include dead meal worms with their salad so he may not be familiar
with live insects. There are several insect replacement options you can sprinkle on the salad (I use Flukers). Also, you can put roaches or worms in a feeder bowl (that they cannot escape from) and maybe your dragon will be brave enough to eat them when you are not looking.
I would be interested to know what you are feed him from a syringe? Anyway, make sure he is drinking water.
Thanks!!
I am not offering salad, he is getting butternut squash from a syringe. Im not sure what they were offering at petco since the bowls were empty at that moment, if an insect even enters he will run and close his eyes.

BigSkyMom

You definitely need to make up a salad every day with a mix of greens, veggies and fruits (check out the FAQ section for beardie diet needs). Also be sure to spray / dust them with a calcium supplement. Chop the salad ingrediants up into small pieces, and the more colorful the more attractive to the dragon. Add Flukers or equivalent bearded dragon pellets to the salad for protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They often times are a little apprehensive of insects. It sounds like you are offering small
enough insects for him. Have you tried putting him in a small plastic bin & placing just a few
insects in there with him to see if he is interested?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom