Bearded dragon refuses to eat dubia roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, so my around 1 1/2 year old who got ecstatic when I fed him dubia roaches, started to get a little grumpier and chill-er once the temperature dropped (as expected) and stopped eating for a little while. Now, he’s much better energy-wise and will bask and run around my room, but his eating habits still aren’t back to normal. He’ll eat some greens every or every other day, he’s MORE than willing to eat all of my superworms but just won’t eat dubia roaches?? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I keep feeding supers and greens and keep trying the roaches? I actually needed to buy a new UVB bulb and ordered it yesterday, could the expiration on that bulb lead to him not wanting to eat roaches, so would it get better when the new one comes in? I’m so worried and I’m not sure what to do.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's probably a combination of seasonal changes and being picky. If he isn't super hungry he may just hold out for the treats (supers) and ignore his other feeders. Sometimes they just get bored with their routine foods but that usually isn't permanent. Keep track of his weight and if that's stable I'd focus on getting him eating mostly veges anyway. Offer the roaches once or twice a week but give him a big varied salad every day and see how that goes over. At his age it's OK if he doesn't eat much day to day sometimes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, a lot of them do tend to change up their eating preferences, often. Chances are, he
will eventually go towards eating his dubias again, but it may take time. For now, just keep on
offering them & you can keep on offering him the superworms, too. As long as he eats some of
his greens & get some variety, he will be perfectly fine. They can get picky as adults! LOL

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom