Am I feeding my Beardie right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWSylver

Hi, I’m pretty new to this community, but I’ve used your forums for advice to years! However, the time has come for me to just straight up ask- I don’t know if I’m taking care of my dragon right, at least as far as feeding. Patroclus was a sick baby, so he’s always had issues with being fed- my mum and I used to force feed him crickets every day when he was small. Anyways he’s gonna be three years old in January and I just want to make sure I’m giving him what he needs at this age. He still isn’t interested in veggies- he’ll occasionally pick at the kale I leave in the tank for him, and sometimes he’ll eat blueberries and other fruits, but none of it really interests him. I’ve been feeding dubia roaches from the pet store for about six months, but he doesn’t always eat every day. Sometimes it’s three, four days before he eats. And he only eats 10-20 roaches on a good day. I’m worried this is wrong! But he’s always been this way. Is he just a picky eater? He also never poops. Like ever. Am I not doing enough??

I’m not super experienced in feeding roaches (I do crickets instead because roaches freak out others in the household) but what I’ve found is that sometimes your dragon is just being picky. How does the back of his head look? They store fat there and if it’s nice and plump he should be doing okay. As well as if his sides are nice and filled out and you can’t see his ribs. For greens, ( I know you said he doesn’t like veggies much but try this anyways) try not to feed kale too often (it’s not a staple green) try dandelion greens or collard greens instead. Also try and mix in some color (like carrots or less bitter greens (like romaine lettuce and butter lettuce NEVER iceberg). For pooping try a warm bath it stimulates them and helps their insides start moving around. Also check your heat lamps. Is your beardie getting proper warmth to keep him going (on the inside and out) night and day (for night use a red lamp or heat mat). Also when you pick him up is his belly cold to the touch? Let me know if there’s anything I can touch base on with you or clear up anything I said prior. This entry’s a bit all over the place but I had to get all my thoughts down before losing them. I wish you the best of luck, let me know how it goes or if you need any other help! (Oh btw considering he’s lived this long you must be doing at least 1 thing right!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom