Diet / Catching Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I recently got a 2-3 month old baby from a nearby breeder and for a short while intend on continuing the same diet that he gave both the babies and parents. Primarily kale and crickets. Even at her age she eats a surprising amount of kale, and quite a lot of crickets. She used to chase the crickets, but has since stopped and sits around waiting for them to come close because she has had quite a lot of trouble catching the tiny little guys. And well. They tend to stick to the opposite side of the viv from her.

So this leads into two questions, what other greens should I try if any? Most here say their younger dragons don't eat many if any greens... this girl likes hers. And secondly, suggestions on helping her get the crickets? I've tried catching the lil guys but... ahem Let's just say she's a bit quicker than I am, so that went swimmingly.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try putting the crix in a jar with a pinch of calcium powder and give it a good shake. This makes the bugs weak + wobbly, then you just drop the about 3-4 at a time right near your dragon.

And it's fine that she's eating greens, you can also offer turnip, mustard, collard [ shred them in to very small pieces because they are tough ] dandelion ,endive. They also enjoy finely grated squash.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deabrua":1guaz5fg said:
I recently got a 2-3 month old baby from a nearby breeder and for a short while intend on continuing the same diet that he gave both the babies and parents. Primarily kale and crickets. Even at her age she eats a surprising amount of kale, and quite a lot of crickets. She used to chase the crickets, but has since stopped and sits around waiting for them to come close because she has had quite a lot of trouble catching the tiny little guys. And well. They tend to stick to the opposite side of the viv from her.

So this leads into two questions, what other greens should I try if any? Most here say their younger dragons don't eat many if any greens... this girl likes hers. And secondly, suggestions on helping her get the crickets? I've tried catching the lil guys but... ahem Let's just say she's a bit quicker than I am, so that went swimmingly.
catching the crickets : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vacuum-Spider-Catcher-Battery-Operated-Bug-Insect-Sucker-Wand-Critter-Hoover-NEW/273014220167?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 , I've used one of these for years , works a treat.
Suck up a dozen or so, turn off the power, dump the crickets in the dusting jar, shakey shakey ==> dusty crickets , fish out a few at a time and drop them for little spikey can see and grab them ….

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
As a bad first time beardy parent, I repeatedly forgot to dust the crickets for the first couple days. It definitely slowed them down enough for her :D now to just increase the variety in her food...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom