Diet / Catching Crickets

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Diet / Catching Crickets

Postby Deabrua » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:11 am

I recently got a 2-3 month old baby from a nearby breeder and for a short while intend on continuing the same diet that he gave both the babies and parents. Primarily kale and crickets. Even at her age she eats a surprising amount of kale, and quite a lot of crickets. She used to chase the crickets, but has since stopped and sits around waiting for them to come close because she has had quite a lot of trouble catching the tiny little guys. And well. They tend to stick to the opposite side of the viv from her.

So this leads into two questions, what other greens should I try if any? Most here say their younger dragons don't eat many if any greens... this girl likes hers. And secondly, suggestions on helping her get the crickets? I've tried catching the lil guys but... ahem Let's just say she's a bit quicker than I am, so that went swimmingly.
Deabrua
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Diet / Catching Crickets

Postby AHBD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Try putting the crix in a jar with a pinch of calcium powder and give it a good shake. This makes the bugs weak + wobbly, then you just drop the about 3-4 at a time right near your dragon.

And it's fine that she's eating greens, you can also offer turnip, mustard, collard [ shred them in to very small pieces because they are tough ] dandelion ,endive. They also enjoy finely grated squash.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 am

Deabrua wrote:I recently got a 2-3 month old baby from a nearby breeder and for a short while intend on continuing the same diet that he gave both the babies and parents. Primarily kale and crickets. Even at her age she eats a surprising amount of kale, and quite a lot of crickets. She used to chase the crickets, but has since stopped and sits around waiting for them to come close because she has had quite a lot of trouble catching the tiny little guys. And well. They tend to stick to the opposite side of the viv from her.

So this leads into two questions, what other greens should I try if any? Most here say their younger dragons don't eat many if any greens... this girl likes hers. And secondly, suggestions on helping her get the crickets? I've tried catching the lil guys but... ahem Let's just say she's a bit quicker than I am, so that went swimmingly.
catching the crickets : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vacuum-Spid ... 1438.l2649 , I've used one of these for years , works a treat.
Suck up a dozen or so, turn off the power, dump the crickets in the dusting jar, shakey shakey ==> dusty crickets , fish out a few at a time and drop them for little spikey can see and grab them ….

CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Deabrua » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:41 am

As a bad first time beardy parent, I repeatedly forgot to dust the crickets for the first couple days. It definitely slowed them down enough for her :D now to just increase the variety in her food...
Deabrua
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding